Analyzing chords/knowing modes

jleraan
jleraan
03/02/2003 4:59 pm
When you're going to create a guitar solo for a song, you can analyze the chords and find out which modes there are possible and maybe try something originally. This is what guitarist Karl Logan says about making solos.

Well, I don't know a lot of theory yet, but I am very interested in learning.

Analyze chords, allright. But how do you know which modes there is for use?
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/02/2003 5:54 pm
To analyze a chord all you have to do is look at what notes are in the chord. Take an A minor chord, which contains the notes A, C, and E. To find what scales will work over this chord, just look for scales with the root "A" and that contain the notes C and E. Three easy examples would be A minor, A harmonic minor, and A melodic minor. It's the same thing with modes, but it even works if you try modes with the root C or E (other than A). As you can see a simple chord like a minor chord is going to contain a very large number of usable scales. As you use more complex chords, that number will diminish even with just 7 chords. The best thing to do is to learn as many scales as you can and how they sound so you'll be able to choose the right one.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
griphon2
griphon2
03/11/2003 7:22 pm
Assuming one understands chord construction. Chords appear in major keys in various spots. Any one chord can appear in one, two or three positions. (that's what makes them modal) Likewise, each appropriate harmony. Another way to look at this, is function. An improvisational approach is at:
http://members.tripod.com/~griphon2/index-11.html

For this to work, one must have a reasonable notion of harmony. How chords are constructed, intervals, natural movements, etc.
A lie goes around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on. (Mark Twain)
# 3
jleraan
jleraan
03/15/2003 4:49 pm
I'm gonna read through the page, thank you. What's important for me now, is to learn how to create solo's which fits the chords in a song. I also want to learn when making a harmony, how you can know which note harmonies with another. I want to be able in the future to say: "Here we have an F, then to make it a harmony, play along with a C#" - right now I have no idea whether this example is a true statement, but I just wanted to explain what I meant.

When I sit down playing along with records, I can sort of make up solo's - improvise - and it sounds good. However I almost all the time play in the pentatonic minor scale, so it gets a little monotonous.

Yes, my ears are working very well, but I think it'll be an advantage knowing some theory, because then there are a lot of more possibilities and variations, isn't it?
Stupid question that last one.
# 4
griphon2
griphon2
03/16/2003 8:03 pm
To understand chord contruction, one must first understand a major scale contruction and intervals. (distance between notes.)
min 2nd or half step = 1 fret
maj 2nd or whole step = 2 frets
min 3rd = 3 frets
maj 3rd = 4 frets
There are many adjacent string pictures of specific intervals at:
http://members.tripod.com/~griphon2/index-19.html
Any major scale construction = 1 1 1/2 1 1 1 1/2; for a major scale to be a major scale, the scale must have this construction. Example: C D E F G A B C = Cmaj scale.
G A B C D E F# G=Gmaj scale, D E F# G A B C# D=Dmaj scale, etc. Notice if one takes the 5th of each scale and contructs an new one, one new accidental appears. The cycle of 4ths and 5ths. C G D A E B F# or Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F C. Zero to 6 sharps or 6 flats to zero.
Chords are constructed from each one of these scales. It is a series of stacking minor and/or major 3rds. (every other note)
Triads:
All major triads have this formula M3 m3/ C E G
All minor triads have this formula m3 M3/ C Eb G
All diminished triad have this formula m3 m3/ C Eb Gb
7 type formula:
Maj 7 =M3 m3 M3 (CEGB--Cmaj)
Dom7=M3 m3 m3 (CEGBb--C7)
min7=m3 M3 m3 (CEbGBb--Cm7)
m7b5=m3 m3 M3 (CEbGbBb--Cm7b5) also known as a half diminished
dim7=m3 m3 m3 (CEbGbBbb(A)--Cdim or C with a degree sign
When constructing chords from each major scale this result will always occur:
I = maj triad or maj7
ii= min triad or min7
iii=min triad or min7
IV=maj triad or maj7
V= maj triad or dom7
vi=min triad of min7
vii=dim triad or m7b5
Full diminished chords exists in only Harmonic minor. I, personally, rarely look at diminished chords as diminished chords when playing American music. Most always they are a function of the dominant, regardless, to playing in Major, minor, or no key at all. To understand modes is to know where any one chord exists in any one key.
A lie goes around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on. (Mark Twain)
# 5
icecool
icecool
03/17/2003 8:29 am
does anyone know here a site where all the basic scales are tabbed out? melodic minors etc.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.