lyrics or music first

rockonman
rockonman
03/01/2003 8:42 pm
help, im new to playin the guitar and my friend and mess around with writeing riffs and stuff but we want to write a song. but we don't know where to start. do you write lyrics then music or music then lyrics. also how do you go about writeing music , like what is the theory. any advice would be appreciated.

"Live your life while you have it. A life not lived is a life wasted, and a life wasted is unforgivable."
Tyler Wilkins
Feb 2003
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/02/2003 12:23 am
I usually start strumming a chord progression and then sing some words. I write them down, and if I like them I will write riffs, solo, ect.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
canuck7
canuck7
03/03/2003 12:39 pm
well, if you have some cool lyrics that flow a certain way. write them down and then try to write some music around it.
and also, if you get a great riff idea or something, then get it down and maybe find some lyrics that work with the music.
whatever you get inspired to write really.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 3
toolfreak001
toolfreak001
03/03/2003 2:47 pm
This is one of those things that a person can ponder about for a good long time. Which comes first, the chicken, or the egg?

People tend to say, "Well, what do you look for in a band? Do you listen to the lyrics or do you listen to the music?" I, personally, think that's a retarded question. I definitely listen to and like the lyrics of the band's I listen to, but if the music sucks, I don't listen to it. Music comes first for me, but I'm not oblivious to the message.

But as far as songwriting goes, for me anyway, things feed off of other things. Nothing really comes first or second, like, I don't make up a riff, dwell on it for a while till I come up with words for it. Usually I make music and words equally. Every now and then I'll think of something that sounds cool and write it down. Just jot down things that come to mind. One night when you've got nothing to do, or maybe you just broke up a relationship, or something big just happened, look at your random words and see if you can spawn something off of them. When you're emotional you tend to write with emotion. Chances are, 65 percent of the time, you'll look at what you've wrote the next day and think it's crap. But every now and then you'll come up with something cool.

Later, when you've got some music you want to add words to, look at the lyrics you've already written. See what fits and what doesn't. Move things around, change things, make things rhyme, etc. There's no specific formula to making a good song. Sure, people can write books about music theory and songwriting, but good things often don't come from following steps. They come from what just feels good.

Hope this helps!
# 4
rockonman
rockonman
03/03/2003 6:51 pm
thanx
"Live your life while you have it. A life not lived is a life wasted, and a life wasted is unforgivable."
Tyler Wilkins
Feb 2003
# 5
gavin_rossdale
gavin_rossdale
05/04/2011 4:28 am
Well, I've been writing songs almost 20 years now and I've always come up with a tune first, then add in lyrics..Its also what my teacher in music school teaches me..
# 6
JonChorba
JonChorba
05/05/2011 3:06 am
There are multiple ways to approach song writing and no one way is better than the other, although you will definitely have your favorite ways to go about it.

I think it's imperative to challenge yourself to try composing in all sorts of different fashions.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 7
JohnKakalas
JohnKakalas
05/05/2011 12:37 pm
I write my own lyrics and phrases when I get inspired by other songs and music.
Example:

I listen to a cool song and I come up with my own lyrics.

Also:
Write everything that comes in your mind on a notepad,

You can also think of a life experience you had in the past that has touched you and write based on that

Try not to make your lyrics ordinary...

Read also some poetry...listen to songs you like and get inspiration from them.
# 8
JimmyAlford
JimmyAlford
05/06/2011 2:38 pm
Soak yourself in whatever inspires you to write. Then it won't matter what comes first: you'll always be being true to yourself and original.
Personally, I always write to a theme - whatever I want to express and go from there.
If I just so happen to be playing a riff or progression that makes me feel/think of something then I base the rest of the tune/lyrics on the emotion/theme.
Hope that helps :)
# 9
MarcusWiesner
MarcusWiesner
05/06/2011 6:05 pm
The music usually at least takes some form for me first. Sometimes it is just a few chords and then an entire poem is spawned from the number of syllables in each line. I just write a whole poem and then the song changes and the whole thing comes together.

But in general I have more music than lyrics, so writing the lyrics for the songs is a priority so I can catch up with myself. It is not bad to start out with lyrics first, I just find that it is easier to write music because when you are practicing a sudden inspiration might hit you right then and then you've got some music. Starting with lyrics is a great idea. Like I said, I have done it where as soon as I know what kind of vocal line will fit in a song, I have written lyrics for it.

But what Jimmy said is hitting the nail right on the head- usually write to a theme or an idea, because then you can base the chorus on that theme and it will naturally become a cohesive song. If you don't choose a theme then your ideas will be sort of unrelated, which is fine and dandy but you will usually find that that is not very satisfying as the song nears "completion" and you will want to find a message or stance on something to portray.

After all, this is an expression of your soul so get your ideas out there. What are you passionate about? then start from there. :)
# 10
Rosaespirit
Rosaespirit
05/30/2011 2:17 pm
I cannot say that I have much experience but the thing that works for me is that I don't do it alone. Usually, what happens is that we 're playing together (coguitarist and I) trying to find something interesting, a nice riff, some chords whatever sounds good (so music first for us).
Once we have a clue, we try to develop it trying to write down lyrics in the same time, but with a common theme or intent, meaning for instance to depict a character, a dream, an every day scene leading to a conclusion. The thing is, together we're not the most serious people, and it usually leads to hilarious songs, anyhow, try to find whatever inspires you most. The good thing to work in tandem, is that you get immediate feedback and sometimes, your partner will add something cool to the couple of notes or lyrics you 've started.
So, if you have a friend to work with, it could go very quickly: it takes us about 3/4 days to write a whole song, and then about a week or 2 to finalize it!

So, take your chance and have fun!
# 11
Marshallmk1
Marshallmk1
05/31/2011 7:34 pm
For me it works both ways...sometimes I'll come up with a chord progression and see what lyrics it inspires and sometimes it's the other way around...I guess you have to see what suits you...maybe putting words to music will be easier than putting music to words for you...I don't think there any rules...rules just get in the way of creativity...!!!
# 12
SunKing1
SunKing1
05/31/2011 9:13 pm
Hi, for me it's usually both things together. I don't think rules stand on the way of creativity... I think most of the times your ideas flow better when you have the tools to lead them where you want to. Whatever works, anyway! And it needs practice, like everything else.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.