I have small hands, and I want to learn how to adjust.

katlynnegore18
katlynnegore18
12/18/2022 5:58 am

I'm KG, and I'm hoping to learn a lot here :)

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
12/18/2022 5:10 pm

Welcome KG. 

You will learn a lot here and don't worry about having small hands. Part of learning guitar is dealing with adjustments. If you search the forum a bit you'll find others have had the same concern and there was some good discussion on how to overcome it. We all have different size hands and fingers and there have been many famous guitarists who learned to adapt to it so don't worry about it. The one thing I could suggest is to start off with the right guitar. Some have shorter scale lengths and thinner necks so that might be something to look into. 

Good Luck,

Moe

edited
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/27/2022 10:05 pm

Hi KG.

Noting a number of recent posts from relative beginners posing a similar question, I thought to post the following for inspiration to all so endowed whenever you get down about the real encumbrance smaller hands present. I think your prespective of "I want to learn how to adjust" presents the pragmatic solution to the issue in the same perspective as my own for the best potential outcome and progression to this obstacle in both initial learning and developing proficiency with guitar.

Having been at this GT tute gig for five years now with relatively small hands for a man, I'm speaking from a pragmatic perspective of living the experience vs spruking a hypothetical.

As an illustration of having developed proficiency despite of having small hands and short fingers -just look at her pinky and hand's natural curvature typical of someone of her body type, Katelyn Prieboy is sheer inspiration. Here she is at 20. 25 now, admittedly she has been playing since a child with all the advantages that endows. Nevertheless, it illustrates that small hands can overcome or work around many of the obstacles they present with innovation, perseverence, determination and practice. I first became aware of her only a couple of years ago, but wanted to share when I read your post with its recurring inquiry of others here.

Enjoy, and remember with this instrument for most of us, time, perseverence and determination is 99% of demonstrated 'talent'. 

edited
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.