Amp Simulator

davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
12/04/2022 9:39 pm

What I want to do is install an amp simulator on my computer desktop, plug my guitar in using a Behringer UCG102 and play along with GT lessons. I don't want to install a DAW. I don't want to have to mess up my system installing and configuring special drivers. The last time I tried this (many years ago) I couldn't get both the guitar and the lesson audio to play at the same time. 

Am I asking for too much? Has tech changed enough so I should pursue it?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/04/2022 10:11 pm

Yes and I just went through it to make sure it works without the DAW

Here is the setup I just tested:

Amplitube 4 is the simulator on my laptop (never use it actually)

I have my interface (Art Tube Mix) plugged into my laptop with guitar plugged into interface
Headphones plug into the interface
Sound outut on laptop is changed to USB Audio Codec

I just opened up GT, put on a jam track and played along. 

Never got into these sims, just played with the buttons on mine and made sure the tones changed etc, they did.

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/06/2022 12:08 am

Hey Dave,

update. Your query got me back into these simulators and I can't say why I didn't pursue them more when I started playing around with them, but decided to give them another go and upgraded to vs Amplitube 5.5. These things are great! I have spent the night trying the Fender collection. They sound amazing. 

Current hook up has me running my pc into my PA head. Glad you brought this up. 

Good luck with your setup.

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
12/06/2022 2:59 am
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Yes and I just went through it to make sure it works without the DAW

Here is the setup I just tested:

Amplitube 4 is the simulator on my laptop (never use it actually)

I have my interface (Art Tube Mix) plugged into my laptop with guitar plugged into interface
Headphones plug into the interface
Sound outut on laptop is changed to USB Audio Codec

I just opened up GT, put on a jam track and played along. 

Never got into these sims, just played with the buttons on mine and made sure the tones changed etc, they did.

William,

Thanks for the info. I've always like the sims but because I couldn't play along with GT or whatever I never used them. For me they'd actually be ideal because I'm not looking to play out or actually create any music. I just want a large library of presets and all the junk off my desk. The setup in your first post is just a bit too pricey for me (if I was looking at the right equipment). I was just hoping to plug my Behringer in and be done with it. I could handle installing ASIO4ALL if it allowed me to both hear the guitar and the backing tracks. Thanks again. I'll let these ideas kick around for a bit in my head.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/06/2022 12:51 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: davem_or

William,

Thanks for the info. I've always like the sims but because I couldn't play along with GT or whatever I never used them. For me they'd actually be ideal because I'm not looking to play out or actually create any music. I just want a large library of presets and all the junk off my desk. The setup in your first post is just a bit too pricey for me (if I was looking at the right equipment). I was just hoping to plug my Behringer in and be done with it. I could handle installing ASIO4ALL if it allowed me to both hear the guitar and the backing tracks. Thanks again. I'll let these ideas kick around for a bit in my head.

I was curious about the UGC102 Dave, so looked it up. The article I read indicated: "Guitar Link provides a universal USB connection that will happily work with any of the other amp simulation software on the market."

So I think you are good with what you have Dave. All you need is an amp sim if you don't already have one. As I played with Amplitude 4, I was impressed with the amount of free stuff it came with, some clean amps, some dirty amps and an assortment of essential pedals. But for $99USD I thought "what the heck" and upgraded to 5.5

For my audio control I just have it set on "Windows Audio" and don't really seem to notice much in terms of latency when I play over GT tracks.

But again, thanks for bringing this up. Its a great topic and now I have one more toy to play with šŸ˜€

Good luck with your setup.

# 5
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
12/06/2022 5:59 pm

"But for $99USD I thought "what the heck" and upgraded to 5.5"

That's what got me started on all of this. I saw Amplitube for $99 down from $600 and thought "What the heck.". I can download the trial version for now, install the Behringer software and see what happens. It may be a bit but I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/06/2022 11:05 pm

Will be interested to hear how you make out. 

PS, as I play with this I am getting better results with ASIO and continue to play with configurations.

# 7
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
12/07/2022 2:51 am
#7 Originally Posted by: William MG

Will be interested to hear how you make out. 

PS, as I play with this I am getting better results with ASIO and continue to play with configurations.

Can you still get both the sim audio and GT audio at the same time?

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/07/2022 12:56 pm

Yes, and again just to confirm, I had GT running as I played through a tune.

I have changed my setup however. Because I am enjoying Amplitube 5 and the various amps it provides (really caught by the Fender collection) I changed my interface to a Scarlett Solo. The Solo has a much smaller foot print and is USB powered, so there is less clutter on my desk. 

Here is a grab of my current settings and they seem to work well. Note the buffer is as high as possible and still seems to work. The lower the buffer the less latency but the sound can become distorted. So 512 seems to be the magic number. I should also not that the performance of the software will likely be impacted by the hardware used. I am running this on a laptop. Windows 10 64 bit. i7 processor clocked at 2.1GHZ. 16G of ram.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.