Making a practice routine and time between lessons

alex.frampton1
Full Access
alex.frampton1
Full Access
12/04/2022 1:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just started with Guitar Tricks after playing for a number of years but not having alot of structure to it and going through real phases. I've been doing the beginner's course, even though it's more basic, just to make sure there's nothing I missed when first learning to play guitar. The issue is I'm not sure what to do about practice routines, what to actually practice and how long to leave between lessons. I wondered if there's anyone else who's managed to get to the next step from an improver/intermediate level and how you managed to get better with practice routines/solidifying what was learnt in lessons.

Thanks!

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
12/04/2022 7:25 pm

Hi and welcome,

Lisa McCormick and Caryn Anderson both have very specific tutorials on "How to Practice". You might want to give them a look. There may be other videos from other instructors,  but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

You'll also find many resources in Christopher's library as well if there is something specific you want to work on.

To find them you just go to the Instructors page. Then click on their Bio's and you'll see a listing of all their videos. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and you'll find them there. 

If your just starting, I would recommend spending no more than an hour on your practice. Don't burn yourself out it's easy to do. What worked for me would be to start with the spider exercises to build strength and dexterity. One thing to remember is each lesson builds on the previous so moving on doesn't mean you'll never use the techniques again so don't feel you have to master down every lesson. We have to coach ourselves here so if you feel you got a good understanding of the material and can nail the lesson down to at least an 80% profficiency level then it's a good time to move on to next lesson. You can also direct message any instructor in their subforums if you have any specific questions on this. 

Hope thats a help,

Moe

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/11/2022 7:12 pm

Hi alex.frampton1,

As mjgodin suggests, have a look at the "How to Practice" advice from me and from Karyn. 

As a simple rule-of-thumb, I always suggest to my students that they pick up the instrument for 15 minutes a day. You could even grab five minutes here, and five minutes there. The idea is that you want to keep re-introducing your hands and body to the instrument, EVEN IF you are not actively engaged in a focussed practice session. 

Engaged focussed practice sessions are where you will get the mileage and momentum to really LEARN new things and get much better at them, but some kind of daily interaction, even if brief, also helps a whole lot.

Best of luck, and have fun! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
pauledeveaux
pauledeveaux
12/17/2022 9:46 pm

Similarly, I am practicing and not sure that my practice is effective. I have looked at the "How to Practice" tutorials but there seems to be very little information about what to practice - those tutorials seem to focus more on the how, attitude, mindset, etc. A typical session for me looks like: 

• Tune the guitar

• Spider exercises with metronome

• Scales (major and pentatonic) with metronome

• Chord shapes. 20x each chord I know

• Guitar tricks videos or working on chord changes

Some days I only do 20 - 30 minutes and other days I stop myself after 90 minutes. I think what I need is someone to tell me I am on the right track or to tell me what I need to add / take away from my routine. For example, where does ear training fit in ? 

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/17/2022 11:16 pm

Hi Paul and welcome as this is your 1st post.

Your outline looks good but I think you need to define an end goal or goals.

The best way for me to define this is to speak to my own during my 3 years of learning the instrument.

My 1st goal was to learn a song... any song. At 56 I still had the same guitar I bought when I was 17 and hadn't learned to play a thing. 

2cnd goal was to write a song. This pushed me into learning some theory. Not much, just some basics like what chords sound good together. What notes or scales will work with my chords so I can write some licks. 

Then I wanted to learn how to jam. Sit down with others or a jam track and have some fun. Jeff McErlain (True Fire) has some excellent tutorials on how to jam to the Blues. All basic stuff that can be used over and over again and good to have in your tool kit. Bread and butter licks.

So now 3 years on, here is where I am at:

I have a good general concept of how music is put together. I would say I have functional knowledge. I have and can sit down and write a song and the parts "make sense" with each other.

I can jam with friends or to jam tracks as long as I know what key we are in. It's not going to win any awards but this is for kicks and giggles.

But now more than anything I just want to learn my favourite songs.

Music, as I have learned, is an immense study, or at least can be. I think if you define a goal(s), it will take you down a path of self directed learning and things will begin to make sense. Stand alone exercises like chords, scales are important but putting them into music is what it's all about. 

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
Hank1974
Full Access
Hank1974
Full Access
12/27/2022 3:07 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: pauledeveaux

Similarly, I am practicing and not sure that my practice is effective. I have looked at the "How to Practice" tutorials but there seems to be very little information about what to practice - those tutorials seem to focus more on the how, attitude, mindset, etc. A typical session for me looks like: 

• Tune the guitar

• Spider exercises with metronome

• Scales (major and pentatonic) with metronome

• Chord shapes. 20x each chord I know

• Guitar tricks videos or working on chord changes

Some days I only do 20 - 30 minutes and other days I stop myself after 90 minutes. I think what I need is someone to tell me I am on the right track or to tell me what I need to add / take away from my routine. For example, where does ear training fit in ? 

This is where I'm at as well.
I need someone to tell me, "Do these drills every day. Then do this, then that..."
I follow along with the beginner lessen plans, but I feel like I need to add more exercises - I just don't know what.

I received a guitar as a Christmas gift in 2020 (I thought it was 2021) so every Christmas that passes, and I still suck, I get bummed out, lol

I need to bare down and focus, but having a set practice plan would help a bunch

# 6
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
12/28/2022 4:12 pm

Perhaps you could create a setlist.  Or, in this case, a 3 song mini set.  If you like, you can choose appropriate skill level songs from GT's available song list.  A number of working musicians I know follow a compressed version similar to below.

1.  Your goal is to play through the set without a pause.. Advance as your skill set allows.  Modify this list as you feel appropriate.

2. 1st practice - Determine the key for each of the 3 songs

3. Next 2 or 3 practices - Learn the chord progression for each song.  Go as slow as necessary to get the chords right.  If you run into a chord that gives you a lot of difficulty, try making a partial chord or use a triad.

4. Next 2 or 3 practices - Use a metronome to ensure you can progress through each song's chord changes with smooth timing.  Note - you don't have to be up to full tempo while learning your set.

5. Next couple of practices - Play the entire set using the chords at a metronome setting that works for the entire set.

6. Next couple of practices - Add fills and lead as appropriate.  Anything from single note measures to complex stuff depending on your skill level.

7. Through all practices sing - either out loud or in your head - the appropriate lyrics.

8. When ready.  Play the set as if you're on stage.  Don't be hard on yourself if you don't nail it.  The main thing is to finish the set - warts, mistakes, and all!  Try to develop the courage to finish a song even if you flub it up.

9. Now go back and work on where you may not have hit the mark - timing, chord change messes, missed lead notes, whatever.

10. Be patient with yourself.

If it's in your wheelhouse, William MG's suggestion about writing your own song is excellent.  Even if you don't think you can write, I'm betting that almost everyone has the kernel of a song in their head.  If you head that little melody or lyric, go ahead an feel it out.

Most of all - enjoy.

Rumble

# 7
tom.nemec
tom.nemec
12/28/2023 1:55 am

I m glad you posted this. I think it is a good system but i also need to have more info on what to practice similar to what you would see in a book. That is why i did not stay with the system.  

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.