Guitar Tricks Beginner Course

electriclover1
electriclover1
12/02/2022 8:17 pm

Hi,

I've been going the initial beginner lessons but on a fender bullet strat and even with "acoustic sim" preset on my mustang amp, the cords dont sound the same. It is normal for the major cords to sound different on electric vs acoustic? I double checked each cord to make sure my fingers are not pressing other cords but it just doesnt sound the same. 

EDIT: I did use the chromatic tuner in the amp and it is tune

edited
# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/03/2022 2:47 pm

If everything is in tune, a G should sound like a G. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/03/2022 3:56 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: electriclover1

Hi,

I've been going the initial beginner lessons but on a fender bullet strat and even with "acoustic sim" preset on my mustang amp, the cords dont sound the same. It is normal for the major cords to sound different on electric vs acoustic? I double checked each cord to make sure my fingers are not pressing other cords but it just doesnt sound the same. 

EDIT: I did use the chromatic tuner in the amp and it is tune

I'm assuming you mean the GF1 course with Anders.  What lesson specifically are you working on when you noticed this?

There is going to be some difference in timbre (quality of sound, bass, mids, treble, thin, full, etc.) between an acoustic guitar through computer speakers vs. you electric through an amp in the room with you (even with an acoustic setting).  But you should get the same pitches with those  differencs in timbre.

Without more specific information (how does it sound different?  In what way?  What pickup on the guitar are you using?  Is the tone knob turned on zero?) it's going to be difficult to help fix any potential problem.  My first suggestion is tuning.  But since you've checked that, the next is the pickup & volume & tone.

Set the pickup selector to the bridge (all the way down toward the input jack), turn all the knobs up to 10.  See if that helps.

Can you post a video example with audio to demonstrate what you mean?

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/11/2022 7:22 pm

Hi electriclover1,

Just by the way they are constructed, acoustic guitars and electric guitars DO have a different sound-quality from one another.

An amp setting won't magically turn an electric guitar into an exact replica of an acoustic guitar.

With the electric and the amp, the electronics are effecting the tone, whereas with an acoustic guitar, the tone is affected by the wood and the shape and construction of the guitar itself. Two different animals that way.

My Fundamentals Course starts you out on Acoustic, whereas Anders' starts you out on electric (I believe).

Either way, all the information you are learning from either of us about CHORDS and NOTES and CLARITY and RHYTHM and all that stuff is the same, across the board. 

Best of Luck, and Have Fun! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
12/13/2022 9:50 pm

You mentioned in your edit that you used a chromatic tuner.  An E will register as an E even if its the wrong E on the chromatic setting.  My tuner has a function called "G" which shows you the string number.  So that when tuning the E for sixth string, unless it says 6E you have the wrong E.

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.