constructive criticism

flash2ace
flash2ace
02/20/2003 7:17 pm
could someone please give me some criticism on my songs, i believe the best two are ice blue and the one. i recorded them with sonar 2.0 xl and i performed all the instruments you hear and even did the singing on the one. please let me have it. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1751&alid=-1
play music unto the lord in a manner of praise.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2003 1:06 pm
I had difficulty getting to them initially however, despite the fact that they are not in a style I particularly dig (...well that means nothing Simon !). I was suitably impressed.

Constructive criticism:

I couldn’t hear much bass though that may have been due to my tiny speakers, however remember that not everyone who listens to the song will have a state of the are playback monitoring system. I try to combat this problem by listening to my first mix on as many different system as possible and adjusting the mix accordingly. Noticingthemistake made some interesting points about mix down in this thread:
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5931

The vocals sounded a bit muffled like there was too much compression on them, I dont know if this was intentional. You may want to try a different mic with a slightly different response curve. I like SM57 (normally used for miking guitar) for vox. They are cheep and carry lots of bang for your buck.
Hope this helps
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/21/2003 11:41 pm
Like Simon, I was impressed. The songs were well written and it's not my cup of tea either but you did a good job. The qualtiy of the song was very good, but if you want some constructive criticism here's what I got to say.

1. Turn down your cymbals, they are alittle too loud. You may have wanted them to a present part of the music but when you hit a crash it drownded out the guitars a bit. I'd turn 'em down about 2 or 4 decimals. Not much, just enough to blend them back in with the rest of the music.

2. The low end of the bass is there, but I can't get a sense of the rhythm or notes it's playing. Check out the link Simon wrote, I wrote the frequencies you should boost alittle to make it more apparent.

Other than that it was a great mix.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
flash2ace
flash2ace
02/24/2003 11:51 pm
thanks for the replies guys. i will be redoing all my songs soon so you pretty much told be what i wanted to hear. what did you guys thank of the guitar playing on ice blue 52. just curious. thanks again for the replies.
play music unto the lord in a manner of praise.
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/26/2003 3:59 am
It was pretty cool dewd. :)
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.