jason becker

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
02/20/2003 5:06 am
i've noticed a few people who mentioned they get bored listening to malmsteen. i was was wondewring what you guys think of jason becker. personally i think he is more talented (definately more modest) and is probably the best in his genre. his compostions are very complex and his knowledge of music and the stuff he composed after his ALS diagnosis is just amazing.

oh and some news, he regained muscle control in a couple fingers, which is a huge miracle.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/20/2003 5:50 am
Originally posted by zepp_rules
personally i think he is more talented (definately more modest) and is probably the best in his genre.

Yea, i can agree to that.
Yeah he's talented, he played for cacophany is he? I like his sweeping a lot. I think as a person, he's very modest than malmsteen (arrogant). Compared to malmsteen, Beck's solos are more melodic. I love to hear them especially the song tittled "Concerto" if i'm not wrong. His talent is amazing.

Btw, he regained muscle control in a couple finger? You mean he got an injured himself before? :confused:
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
02/20/2003 3:19 pm
Jason is the sweep god. Serrana sweeps are the best ones and I would say that he was more like a freak, I´m mean Jason was beyond talent. He was only between 17-21 years old while he did it all. Man I wish that he could get rid of that fu*ckin´ seickness and start playn´ again.

He´s work with Cacaphony was amazing but Marty was still nr 1 in that band but Marty on the other hand was about 25 yrs old and had a lot experience and Jason was still kid. But Jason´s solo debut Perpetual Burn was outstanding. Just how much he expended his playn´ after only 2 yrs. with Cacophany. That album is top 5 guitar albums of all time no dounbt about and yet it was his only one.

Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
02/20/2003 4:37 pm
Originally posted by Kirk_Aimar
Originally posted by zepp_rules
personally i think he is more talented (definately more modest) and is probably the best in his genre.

Yea, i can agree to that.
Yeah he's talented, he played for cacophany is he? I like his sweeping a lot. I think as a person, he's very modest than malmsteen (arrogant). Compared to malmsteen, Beck's solos are more melodic. I love to hear them especially the song tittled "Concerto" if i'm not wrong. His talent is amazing.

Btw, he regained muscle control in a couple finger? You mean he got an injured himself before? :confused:

he has lou gherig's disease, its a degenerative muscle disease, you loose control of your muscles. there is supossedly no cure. his doctors gave him 3 years to live back in 1990. the fact that he regained control over his some of his muscles is unheard of because ALS is incureable. i think that's a precedent he set.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/20/2003 6:05 pm
Sometimes I get bored from listening some of malmsteen stuff ... But I NEVER got bored from Jason Becker.
He is more melodic , uses various scales and modes (he surely learned lots of exotic scales & dissonance from Friedman)... His music is much more complicated than anybody else , not to mention his awsome feeling and soul playing (one of my friends cries when he listens to "Altitudes" , specialy the last part).

I believe that if this guy just had a chance to record a couple of more solo albums , he would have been INVINCIBLE !
Perpetual Burns is still very hard to be touched anyway.

And yeah , he's the one & only sweep god ... Even Michael Angelo , Malmsteen , and other sweep heads couldn't even get near his sweeping technique .
# 5
msinia
msinia
02/27/2003 1:41 am
Originally posted by SLY
And yeah , he's the one & only sweep god ... Even Michael Angelo , Malmsteen , and other sweep heads couldn't even get near his sweeping technique .

Sure about that?? I mean, i dont know much about Becker but still... Michael Angelo is one sick bastard. It can be show off though.
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/27/2003 2:06 am
Originally posted by msinia
Sure about that?? I mean, i dont know much about Becker but still... Michael Angelo is one sick bastard. It can be show off though.

Yeah , sure about that... Michael Angelo sweeps from above the fretboard, reversed fretting , plays 2 guitars at simultaneously (idea stolen from Steve Vai) .

But still , his sweeps are pretty simple compared with Jason Becker ... Check out "Perpetual Burns" album & Serrana , and you'll know what do I mean.

P.S
====
Frankly , I don't think that angelo has added anything to the guitar music more than trying to show off. (And I DON'T MEAN that he's a bad guitarist or overrated)
# 7
msinia
msinia
02/27/2003 2:13 am
Yeah i now what you mean... but he is really wild anyway.
# 8
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/27/2003 2:22 am
Yeah , he's technicaly great for sure , but Jason Becker's sweeps are harder to play than Michael Angelo's sweeps (played as we normaly do ;) ) .
# 9
msinia
msinia
02/27/2003 3:34 am
Originally posted by SLY
Yeah , he's technicaly great for sure , but Jason Becker's sweeps are harder to play than Michael Angelo's sweeps (played as we normaly do ;) ) .

heh, us normal people.
# 10
msinia
msinia
03/01/2003 12:41 am
Originally posted by SLY

Wow.... i've downloaded a live solo of his when he was in cacophony and his technique... god... is just amazing.
In one part he starts showing off playing with the fretting hand and using his right one to play the yo-yo.

# 11
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
03/01/2003 1:05 am
But that´s not the hardest part. The most crazy part is that in the middle (sweepung part) where he actally preforms Serrana. That´s AMAZING man.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 12
msinia
msinia
03/01/2003 1:13 am
Yeah i know... i mean the beggining is just show off...
Ur talking when he starts the sweeps after playing with the YO-YO?
# 13
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
03/01/2003 1:18 am
I know that vid , it was the first one I saw for becker ... I was like drooling when I first saw it.

So sad that there ain't too much vids for him , and most of the available are very poor in quality .
# 14
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
03/01/2003 1:42 am
Originally posted by msinia
Ur talking when he starts the sweeps after playing with the YO-YO?

The Serrana arpeggios "Dejan" mentioned starts at 1:15 ... The Vid I have is 2:21 min long .
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.