Your thoughts on Hendrix

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/18/2003 2:22 am
I wouldnt say ignorant, its just his opinion. Can you prove hes not telling the truth?
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2003 3:05 am
I almost edited that post, but then I thought to myself "you know what, that post speaks for itself" so I decided to leave it.

I wouldn't get too riled up over it, and please folks, don't make any work for me.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/18/2003 3:12 am
Im not being smart here, but why would you edit it?

It would be different if he insulted somebody who posts here, but you wouldnt do the same if someone said the White Stripes or Oasis were crap(fair enough, noone would care except me)? Editing a post for saying Hendrix is crap is a bit of a Stalinist approach(now Im being smart). You were right to leave it though, err good job sport.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 3
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
02/18/2003 9:06 am
I bet he is some angry 15 year punker. At lest he sounds as one.

[Edited by Slow Diver on 02-18-2003 at 11:04 AM]
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/18/2003 5:39 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
His idea of guitar legend is probably Kirk Hammett....

LOL :D

But most kids who worship Hammett tend to like Hendrix since Hammett himself is a big fan of Hendrix & he always mention him in interviews & so. ;)
# 5
msinia
msinia
02/18/2003 6:56 pm
people that worship hammet do so just because they are fans of metallica, not because they've compared different guitar players and come to the conclusion that he is the best.
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/18/2003 7:02 pm
He is a nice guitarist , but definitely not the best.
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2003 7:07 pm
Originally posted by Led Zeppelin
Im not being smart here, but why would you edit it?

It has great potential as an "incindiary device" in this discussion, but as you said, it doesn't actually say anything about anyone here, or directly to anybody here, so I left it alone. If he had actually bothered to back up his abrupt statement with a few supporting ideas the "edit" thought never would have crossed my mind.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 8
msinia
msinia
02/19/2003 12:28 am
Originally posted by SLY
He is a nice guitarist , but definitely not the best.

Agreed... He can pull of some nice stunts.
# 9
u10ajf
u10ajf
02/20/2003 2:00 am
maybe I missed some cool early 80s stuff but personally I think that Satriani was as much of a revelation to guitar music as Hendrix. Try satch tracks like Echo, Hordes of Locusts and The Forgotten and tell me Hendrix was better. I'll laugh but you won't hear me.
Lots of the people who say X was the greatest were young when they met their music and associate it with discovering how cool music can be. As for me, my fave guitarist might well be Alex Lifeson from Rush, check out La Villa Strangiato, so much tragedy, so much soul, such a great dearth of stiltonesque miasma (AKA cheese), such tone, such blinding technique. How old was I when i first heard lifeson? 6. Now I'm 24 and I'm stuck in my old ways.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 10
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/20/2003 2:08 am
So much annoying 80's synths...

I agree, La Villa Strangiato is an ace song, I have it on CDR somewhere, I tried to learn it once and failed.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 11
msinia
msinia
02/20/2003 3:01 am
Originally posted by u10ajf
maybe I missed some cool early 80s stuff but personally I think that Satriani was as much of a revelation to guitar music as Hendrix. Try satch tracks like Echo, Hordes of Locusts and The Forgotten and tell me Hendrix was better. I'll laugh but you won't hear me.
Lots of the people who say X was the greatest were young when they met their music and associate it with discovering how cool music can be. As for me, my fave guitarist might well be Alex Lifeson from Rush, check out La Villa Strangiato, so much tragedy, so much soul, such a great dearth of stiltonesque miasma (AKA cheese), such tone, such blinding technique. How old was I when i first heard lifeson? 6. Now I'm 24 and I'm stuck in my old ways.

I'm 16 and so are my friends. And I'm quite positive they suffer the "legend" syndrome where they go with the flow saying that Hendrix is the best and blah, blah, blah, instead of having an opinion on their own. Players like satch and vai i think are as gifted as him... but as they play and have innovated in another genre they aren't as recognized as Hendrix.
# 12
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/20/2003 10:33 pm
Yea, I'm 15, I don't worship any guitar players because I have my God to worship. Kirk Hammet is good, but in my opinion Hendrix set it all off. Outstanding sounds and licks for a primitive time in effects. That just really busted my bubble cuz I had been dealing with all the people at my school who lectured me about how rap is so much more better and more talented than Hendrix.
# 13
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/20/2003 10:38 pm
Originally posted by xplosive58:
I hate hendrix more than any guitarist ever. He cant sing his songs blow and everyone calls him a god.

Originally posted by Led Zepplin:
I wouldnt say ignorant, its just his opinion. Can you prove hes not telling the truth?

Anyone with any knowledge of music would agree with me that xplosive's comment is moronic.

# 14
AndyP
AndyP
02/21/2003 3:15 pm
I'm not the worlds biggest hendrix fan or anything and can't be bothered with the sort of hero worship that goes on (especially from people that don't know a guitar from a mandolin) but credit where it's due. The man was a true visionary. If you listen to the guitar playing back when he emerged his playing blew everyone else out of the water. He reinvented the way the guitar was played and scared the crap out of the other "guitar gods". I personally think that it's a bit unfair, 30 years later, to compare him with todays guitarists without taking into account the music of the time. Who knows what Hendrix would be playing if he emerged today(I bet it would be something special). I don't believe (and I'm 23yrs old so I'm not living in the past) that any other guitarist has made such an impact to the way the guitar is played. Also, despite his flawed techique, his playing still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up, which is more than I can say for most of todays guitarists.....

[Edited by AndyP on 02-21-2003 at 09:18 AM]
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/21/2003 4:20 pm
Originally posted by AndyP
... Who knows what Hendrix would be playing if he emerged today(I bet it would be something special...
This is likely to disappoint a lot of rockers, but I think Hendrix was on his way out of the rock scene. As I posted earlier, it looks like he was trending toward some kind of freeform rock/jazz fusion. He was such a ground-breaking guitarist because he broke all the 'rules', and jazz fosters that kind of approach. I think he may have evolved into someone who sounded like a heavier version of Alan Holdsworth! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
canuck7
canuck7
02/25/2003 3:19 pm
Originally posted by AndyP
I'm not the worlds biggest hendrix fan or anything and can't be bothered with the sort of hero worship that goes on (especially from people that don't know a guitar from a mandolin) but credit where it's due. The man was a true visionary. If you listen to the guitar playing back when he emerged his playing blew everyone else out of the water. He reinvented the way the guitar was played and scared the crap out of the other "guitar gods". I personally think that it's a bit unfair, 30 years later, to compare him with todays guitarists without taking into account the music of the time. Who knows what Hendrix would be playing if he emerged today(I bet it would be something special). I don't believe (and I'm 23yrs old so I'm not living in the past) that any other guitarist has made such an impact to the way the guitar is played. Also, despite his flawed techique, his playing still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up, which is more than I can say for most of todays guitarists.....

[Edited by AndyP on 02-21-2003 at 09:18 AM]

exactly! he was totally revolutionary when he played all those THIRTY years ago. get it in perspective here people. compared to people today he's just like another guy. but he reinvented how to play the guitar. no-one was playing like that all those THIRTY years ago. nowadays, his playing has been listened to into oblivion (not neccessarily a bad thing)so it doesn't seem that different or revolutionary.
so just remember, this was THIRTY years ago ok? everything was different then. i bet that if we were all living in the 60s playing guitar and heard Hendrix for the first time, we'd be floored.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 17
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/25/2003 7:18 pm
Yeah he revolutionised the guitar but that doesnt make him any good. The bottom line is...Hendrix was great cos he wrote great tunes that you could whistle.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 18
metalisbest
metalisbest
02/28/2003 11:08 pm
I can agree with that, but than all you people talk about how great Guns and Roses were/are. They don't even come close to Jimi and all the projects he did. Most people have only heard some of his stuff, and not the whole shbang.
# 19
rockonman
rockonman
03/01/2003 9:17 pm
hendrix is great cause he played what felt good to him not what sounded good. that is why everybody says he plays with so much soul. he was also one of the best improv players ever. have you ever closely analyzed his rendition of the star spangled banner? it is genius.
"Live your life while you have it. A life not lived is a life wasted, and a life wasted is unforgivable."
Tyler Wilkins
Feb 2003
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.