View post (Your thoughts on Hendrix)

View thread

canuck7
canuck7
02/15/2003 3:32 pm
well, that's true. but for his time he was legendary, no-one else did stuff like that then. he was quite the innovator and idea man. but yes, when you compare him to todays guitarists, he's not as technically skilled. but then, in twenty years or so, we'll start deifying people like the ones you mentioned....i hope.
and about soul. that's f*cking impossible!!! he DID play with a lot of soul, but even if someone is shredding through some scales how can they be playing with less soul than Hendrix? if i blasted through some scales and chords and made a decent song out of it and played it until my heart and soul were dry, how could tell if it was better than what Hendrix did? maybe it would just sound like a shred song, or maybe just a quick punk song. glad i brought that up. punk rockers, those guys aren't great but they pour their blood sweat and tears into the music. brilliant example:*Fugazi*. those guys LIVE for music. how can THEY play with less soul than Hendrix did? it's not measurable...that what i'm saying here. i mean, i'll bet shredders put a lot of heart into their work. but maybe it'll sound mechanical or something. that's not up to us or anyone else.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.