Hello and please help..

oldpunker
oldpunker
02/12/2003 4:31 pm
Hey everyone, glad to be here. I just found this forum and it's awesome! Anyways I have a question on picking techinique. First let me tell you I've been frustrated with this for years and have tried a few things to resolve it but can't seem to.

I am a very very sloppy picker, it seems like every time I have to pick something with accuracy it sounds like crap. It looks as though I lift my pick hand too much and can't get to the other strings properly or in time. I've tried several things like holding the pick so that only the very tip is exposed, tried using different angles etc etc.. and it yielded some positive results but still not good enough for me. I have been playing daily now for 12 years or so and still think someone can teach an old punk some new tricks. Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

TIA
We see things as we are, not as they are. - Anais Nin
# 1
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/12/2003 5:10 pm
Hmm..the keyword is to practice a lot.
Practice yourself by picking just a note. Stroke them alternately starting from downstroke or otherwise, then upgrade yourself from picking a note to more notes {ex. 4 notes). Then from picking a string..try practicing change string picking (this might be hard but with practicing a lot, you can see the improvement) . These need a lot of practicing, as you practice your speed changes. Better, if you use metronomes click to improve ur speed in picking. And also, when picking dont make much movement on your wrist to pick, use your fingers. I hope this way can help you a little on picking technique. =)
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/13/2003 8:10 am
Welcome Punk!
You chose your name,not me.:D
# 3
oldpunker
oldpunker
02/13/2003 11:21 am
Some great replies so far. Sometimes I forget about the practice a lot parts, I've always been guilty of putting it back down after a few minutes. I'm definitely going to try these suggestions because it's the only thing in my playing that is keeping me from feeling like a guitar player and not just a noodler.
We see things as we are, not as they are. - Anais Nin
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.