A Minor pentatonic scale first position

martjor854
Full Access
martjor854
Full Access
08/29/2022 12:37 pm

Hi,[br]I’m still not sure about the A minor pentatonic scale position one [br]5-8[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]5-8[br]5-8[br]Some backing tracks show chords played over this position [br]but I do not understand how to play chords over the above scale positions.[br]Can you explain this.[br]What I am interested in doing is playing a backing track over the above positions of Am pentatonic position one.[br]In order to improvise with the above position how can this be done do you have any examples please. With improvisation can you select any of these notes in any order and play backwards. [br]Jamming to a backing track would be great fun.[br]I am using an acoustic guitar.[br]IF playing the second position of this pentatonic scale starting at [br]5-8[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]Would the same backing track be okay?[br]Can you recommend specific backing racks please as I am new to this.

If I play the A minor pentatonic scale at position two [br]The notes will be different to position one do I not need a different backing track to position one.[br]The are many backing tracks in Am but there is no position for the scale given,[br]Initially I want to play position one then position two

Thank you for your time.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/30/2022 3:18 pm

Hello! I recommend you work through this improvisation for beginners tutorial:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13943

I also recommend learning solos from songs you like to start to develop an instinct for how to improvise.

Once you've chosen the key (in this case, A minor) then any backing track in that key will work. You can choose any scale pattern for that key anywhere on the neck.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Originally Posted by: martjor854

Hi,[br]I’m still not sure about the A minor pentatonic scale position one [br]5-8[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]5-8[br]5-8[br]Some backing tracks show chords played over this position [br]but I do not understand how to play chords over the above scale positions.[br]Can you explain this.[br]What I am interested in doing is playing a backing track over the above positions of Am pentatonic position one.[br]In order to improvise with the above position how can this be done do you have any examples please. With improvisation can you select any of these notes in any order and play backwards. [br]Jamming to a backing track would be great fun.[br]I am using an acoustic guitar.[br]IF playing the second position of this pentatonic scale starting at [br]5-8[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]5-7[br]Would the same backing track be okay?[br]Can you recommend specific backing racks please as I am new to this.

If I play the A minor pentatonic scale at position two [br]The notes will be different to position one do I not need a different backing track to position one.[br]The are many backing tracks in Am but there is no position for the scale given,[br]Initially I want to play position one then position two

Thank you for your time.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
martjor854
Full Access
martjor854
Full Access
11/20/2022 11:47 pm

Hi Mike 

I am interested in Flatpicking can you advise where I can do this course on Guitar tricks.

Is this the same technique as Fingerstyle as I would like to commence a course at beginner level on this as well.

Thanks for your last message I will visit the improvisation link next time, I want to play backing tracks with the A minor pentatonic scale position one which is played

5-8

5-7

5-7

5-7

5-8

5-8

could you recommend backing tracks for this scale please, would any A minor blues backing track fit this pattern as long as it is A minor pentatonic? Would this track suit any of this scales positions? 

I have also learnt the third position of this scale.

Mike just to check, as this is a minor scale and moveable if I move this pattern up the frets eg to the seventh fret 

I will be obtaining the B minor scale first position, is this correct?
I am unable to find Caren Anderson's tutorial on Proud Mary ?
thanks and have a good day 

Martin 

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/26/2022 1:46 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: martjor854

Hi Mike 

I am interested in Flatpicking can you advise where I can do this course on Guitar tricks.

Is this the same technique as Fingerstyle as I would like to commence a course at beginner level on this as well.

Thanks for your last message I will visit the improvisation link next time, I want to play backing tracks with the A minor pentatonic scale position one which is played

5-8

5-7

5-7

5-7

5-8

5-8

could you recommend backing tracks for this scale please, would any A minor blues backing track fit this pattern as long as it is A minor pentatonic? Would this track suit any of this scales positions? 

I have also learnt the third position of this scale.

Mike just to check, as this is a minor scale and moveable if I move this pattern up the frets eg to the seventh fret 

I will be obtaining the B minor scale first position, is this correct?
I am unable to find Caren Anderson's tutorial on Proud Mary ?
thanks and have a good day 

Martin 

Hello Martin, thanks for the questions!

If you’re interested in flatpicking, I suggest working through these tutorials:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1405

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1409

Also, here’s a link to the list of Bluegrass songs we have on the site:

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/bluegrass?sort=popularity

For fingerstyle, I recommend working through Chapter 2 of the Acoustic Level 1 Course:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/29206

For the Am Pentatonic scale, any backing track in the key of A Minor, or any blues backing track in the key of A will work great! 

Yes, if you move that scale pattern up 2 frets to the 7th fret, you will be playing the B minor pentatonic scale.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.