Suggest my lesson plan

alanjames286
alanjames286
06/07/2022 2:16 pm

Hello. Im a newbie and have been practicing for a couple months. Im using Ander's and Lisa's GF1 course together. I have learned most of the open chords and some scales. My major issue is making the chord changes fast enough as well as stopping my strumming pattern due to being behind on the chord changes.

Aside from the continuation of GF1 lessons, if you were my teacher and based on my 2 struggles detailed above, what would you have me work on to improve my 2 issues individually or together (besides keep practicing of course)?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2022 2:51 pm
Originally Posted by: alanjames286My major issue is making the chord changes fast enough as well as stopping my strumming pattern due to being behind on the chord changes.

Break the process down into smaller focused practice strategies.

In order to get better at chord changes, solely focus on the physical motions required. Pick 2 chords to work on. Don't strum in time, don't add anything else to the process.

Play a C chord. Make sure you get a clear, clean sound. Stop.

Play a G chord. Get a clear, clean sound. Stop.

Repeat.

Substitute in other chords as necessary to work them into the process.

Same thing for strumming. Just focus on the strumming pattern. Don't add chord changes, don't go too fast. Just pick one chord & strum it with a solid pattern focusing on staying in time. Focus on gliding across the strings. Don't dig in too deep & get the pick stuck. Focus on staying relaxed, don't get tense.

As you improve those skills gradually add other tasks, combine a chord change with a strumming pattern.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.