View post (Pianist learning guitar: any tips?)

View thread

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/04/2022 2:53 am

Me too adoser93.

Advice first - story second.

I'd say, for now, step away from the theory part of it and step over to the feel/improv side of something like the Blues course. (Mike actually very wisely pointed me that way quite recently). Put on a jam track, park yourself in a position on the neck, and work it. For a bit, go more by position, feel, and sound rather than so much on discipline and strict technique. Loosen your collar, let your hair down a bit, and work less hard.

I know it's difficult - I know! - after years of drills, scales, transposition, hands/wrists here, shoulders just right, posture before the keyboard, to actually slouch a bit and relax. Plop yourself into a key and a groove. You'll find all that hard work at the keyboard will pay off here. You'll hear things: intervals, harmonies, and 2 different directions to transpose - up and down the fretboard, and across the strings.

For me it was a number of years of theory and composition on the piano focusing mainly on performance, of course, of the classics. I picked up guitar because a piano was too big to tote around. I've talked a lot here. I still suck at jamming and my improv skills haven't yet seemed to crossover from keys to strings but I'm hearing things. You can't bend a note on a piano and no mater how smooth your legato is, it'll never match up with a slide on the neck.

Anyway, it is years later and I'm still trying to play the guitar music I hear in my head so, here I am at GT.