View post (Pianist learning guitar: any tips?)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/03/2022 3:09 pm

I have to agree with nicolai. It would be useful to work your way though the beginner courses. You don't have to practice all the "Mary had a Little Whatever" songs, just follow along with the naritive and see if what they teach is new or useful (like... how to hold your guitar or how to arpegeate varrious chords up and down the neck, or how to play harmonic melodies). Piano and Guitar are not the same insturment, even if they both have strings. How theory applies to guitar is critical to understanding the instrument. So you are at a great advantage to most of the people here. Just scan those beginner lessons for what is new to you and remember that.

I came to GT after decades of playing guitar, song writting, and preforming. I felt much like you describe your reaction to beginner lessons. The important thing for me was to watch all the beginner stuff and just hold on to what was new to me. This made it possibe for me understand the more advanced lessons. Hell people spend years just learning how to hold on to their pick or play chord progressions up to tempo. Simple questions like which way is up, when you are describing movement on the guitar neck, can in fact become confusing if you don't have terminology to understand.

I get that you are solid in theory, and you may find the beginner stuff boring. But rather than focusing on that, try realizing how much less you have to learn compared to someone who is really just starting. Most of those proto guitarists, will likely never have your depth of understanding. Even if they work on it for years. So you are really facing this task with a huge head start.

I have been learning here at GT for several years. I just look for topics that interest me and work on those. I most likely do not have the theory training that you describe having. But I am steadily developing that understanding from the lessons I do study. There is learing in great depth here if you look for it (not to mention the deep knowledge of Steven the guitar tech extrodinare). I do get the boredom delema that you describe and I have survived a simiar experience. For me racing through the beginner stuff didn't take that long and it gave me comprehension to understand the lessons that followed.

Captcha is a total pain in the........