Not sure of how to effectively use the GT lessons.

Joseph-D
Full Access
Joseph-D
Full Access
03/25/2022 7:08 pm

I have been playing for a few years now and have managed to reach the 2nd Level of the Blue lessons with Anders. After a few lessons I realized that playing the licks up to speed is impossible for me at this time. Feeling frustrated and discouraged I finally started searching for lessons on picking speed and discovered Christopher Schlegel's “Building Speed” lessons and pulled myself away from the Blues lessons to concentrate on my picking speed which is also quite a challenge.

When I joined GT the path was clear to me. Fundamentals I and II and for me Blues Style I and II. At this point I am struggling with speed issues and dexterity in trying to play some of the awesome licks that Anders plays so well in Blues II. I don’t expect to play like him but somehow feel I missed a whole series of lessons on developing speed and dexterity.

Does anyone else have this problem?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2022 9:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Joseph-DAfter a few lessons I realized that playing the licks up to speed is impossible for me at this time.[/quote]

Every guitar learner hits a wall at some point. I know that doesn't stop your frustration! But it might help to know that it is a very common experience. It takes a lot of repetitious practice in a very focused manner to play fast single note lines.

You have to work at playing very efficient, minimal motions in a relaxed manner. Try working on some of these pentatonic licks. They are the kind of physical motions using pentatonic scales that form the basis of a lot of rock & blues style licks.

https://www.guitartricks.com/search.php?search=%22Connecting+pentatonic+patterns%22

You might also get a lot from these pentatonic exercises.

Pentatonic Major Exercises

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=722

Pentatonic Minor Exercises

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=185

Go slow at first! Play it right first, then gradually speed up using the video speed control when necessary.

[quote=Joseph-D]Feeling frustrated and discouraged I finally started searching for lessons on picking speed and discovered Christopher Schlegel's “Building Speed” lessons and pulled myself away from the Blues lessons to concentrate on my picking speed which is also quite a challenge.

Yikes! That's a challenging tutorial if you are brand new to fast playing. :) If you got something out of it, then good for you. But I'd recommend trying the above tutorials to get started on relaxed, efficient, minimal motions for playing blues licks.

Also have a look at this collection of tutorials aimed at basic blues lead ideas & skills.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/Bread-and-Butter-Butter-Blues-Licks

Be patient with yourself! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
martin.bayly
Full Access
martin.bayly
Full Access
03/25/2022 11:58 pm

Hey Joseph-D

Don't have any good suggestions. They look like some great supplemental lessons that Christoper linked.

But just to say, yes, you are absolutely not alone in having this problem.[br][br]I've had a similar experience with Rock Level 2 after having done Rock Level 1. Was managing the first few lessons OK, but when the tempo picked up on some pentantonic lessons, I was just way off the pace. I considered ploughing ahead and just doing the lessons slowly, but I figured maybe I'm just not ready, so decided to go back and do the other Level 1 lessons first (Blues, Country etc) to give myself more time to build up speed otherwise I think I'd just get frustrated with myself. And at the same time I do spend a little bit of practice time everyday working on speed/legato picking drills.[br][br]So far I am not seeing significant speed gains, and when I see how fast some people play, I just think there is no way I'm ever going to be able to play at that speed. But I just keep reminding myself that there was a time when I couldn't change from a C to D chord without leaving a pause that you could drive a truck through, so maybe with time and practice I'll get there some day.

Martin

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/26/2022 3:08 am

Anders teaches all of the courses that you're engaged in and I can tell you what he'd say if you ask him (because I have asked him). He'd say chill already about the speed. Beginners should concentrate on technique, not speed. Playing faster than you are really capable leads to bad technique and bad habits. And then you will have some real problems rather than merely an imaginary problem with speed. That's basically what he told me.

The one beef I have with GT core curriculum courses is that the instructors task beginners with playing along to a backing track at a tempo that is clearly too fast for all but the most gifted beginners. They don't expect you to keep up. The stated tempo is something to shoot for when revisiting those lessons later, after you finish the course work and after you've established good playing mechanics and technique.

Who says you have to play it at the stated tempo anyway, especially on the first go-around? I've taken GF 1 & 2 with both Lisa and Anders, along with about half of Anders' Rock 1, Blues 1 and Acoustic 1. Certainly neither of those instructors have ever said anything even suggesting that you need to keep up with them. Unfortunately, they also don't say anything about slowing down the speed which makes me wonder whether the speed tabs were added after the videos were made.

I suggest you make use of the rate tabs to the left of the video playback screen and set the tempo to something you can comfortably handle, and concentrate instead on technique and timing. Do not let a lack of speed prevent you from forging ahead in the lesson plan. Getting fixated on speed as a beginner will absolutely lead to the kind of frustration that eventually causes one to just throw in the towel. Trust me on that one. I did it enough times before I wised up.

Nicolai

# 4
Joseph-D
Full Access
Joseph-D
Full Access
03/26/2022 10:39 pm

Hey thank you guys I appreciated the feedback and I will give myself a break on the speed issue.

I am going to take a look at Christopher Schlegel's suggested lessons and go from there.

Thank you Christopher for the lesson suggestions.

I have not posted much in these forums but tonight I have realized that there is a lot of power in sharing your struggles with others. It is comforting to know you guys can relate to this.

Thanks!

Joe

# 5
martin.bayly
Full Access
martin.bayly
Full Access
03/27/2022 1:20 am

Let us know how you get on in your quest for speed, particularly if you find some tricks :-)[br][br]Just echoing something that aliasmaximus said, I do make extensive use of the video speed controls in lessons.[br][br]I found that the standard GT presets of 0.75, 0.9 and 1.0 don't give me enough fine-tuning, so I use this Chrome browser extension that adds controls to allow you to set the speed of any video on the web to anything you want.[br][br]https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-speed-controller/nffaoalbilbmmfgbnbgppjihopabppdk[br][br]I pretty much always use incrementing speeds of 0.75, 0.8, 0.85, 0.9 and 0.95 when I'm trying to get something up to speed.

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/27/2022 3:43 am

Hey Martin, great find !

I've been looking for something like this since I started here. Scalable speed increments, scalable jumps, useful shortcuts, works without a hitch on Chrome. Thanks :)

BTW, if you want to get fancy about providing links in this forum, you can use the "Insert/edit Link" button at the top of the editing window to create a clickable link. Like this:

Get a Video Playback Speed Controller for Chrome Browser

Nicolai

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/27/2022 2:56 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: Joseph-D

Hey thank you guys I appreciated the feedback and I will give myself a break on the speed issue.[/quote]

Good idea. Go slow, be realistic & try to enjoy the process.

[quote=Joseph-D]I have not posted much in these forums but tonight I have realized that there is a lot of power in sharing your struggles with others. It is comforting to know you guys can relate to this.

This is a good observation. Glad the forum is helping you!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
Joseph-D
Full Access
Joseph-D
Full Access
03/27/2022 5:01 pm

Martin,

Thanks for the Google extension link. I have wanted to set my own playback speed on many of the lessons, fantastic!

Joe

# 9
craigbrown1805
Full Access
craigbrown1805
Full Access
04/02/2022 12:13 am

I'm in exactly the same position. It usually takes a few sessions just to get the lick under my fingers, but getting up to Anders-speed with any fluency is giving me a nose-bleed.

I'll definitely give these exercises a go.

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2022 3:11 pm
Originally Posted by: craigbrown1805

I'm in exactly the same position. It usually takes a few sessions just to get the lick under my fingers, but getting up to Anders-speed with any fluency is giving me a nose-bleed.

I'll definitely give these exercises a go.

Go slow & work on relaxed, minimal efficient motion. Be patient & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.