View post (getting ready too call it quits)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/25/2022 4:06 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

Thank you everyone for the support. I will keep moving on. I do much better on electric than acoustic, light gauge strings on both and it is my barre finger that mutes the g string my fingers seem too be more fleshy than bony. One day it will happen.

If a proper barre chord is what has you vexed, keep in mind that you can cheat with a power chord style chord. Just hit the triad. If it's the G chord you want, just hold and strum the G (root), the D (4th) and the G (5th). For that matter, in a lot of rock songs, you can get away with the root and the 3rd of a power chord.

I'm not saying you don't want to get better at actual barre chords but that should not be the hill you die as far as not playing. Though there are more than just this example, in songs I like to jam to, 38 Special 'Hold on Loosely' has a small, recurring section that includes an upstroke of an F# barre and I can't say it's super-spectacular in execution but I find ways to make it work...and for the record, I recommend anyone learn the leads in that song for a great lesson on lead melodic themes.

That's always the point with guitar; it's a negotiation of what we want to acheive versus today's limitations and some limitations that are just always going to be there.

Good luck!