Up-strumming Frustration

Gambitt
Full Access
Gambitt
Full Access
01/24/2022 9:38 pm

I am currently stuck on strumming (specifically up-strums). Has anyone else gotten stuck or have suggestions on how to move past?

Every time the pick hits the low E string on an up-strum, it slightly moves, until after about the 3 strums it faces 90 degrees with the point facing down the neck.

Every...single...time

I've tried thin picks, and thick picks, I've tried adjusting how I hold the pick, I've stopped and started, and tried to retrain everything I can think of...every time I up-strum the pick moves and will rotate down the neck. I have to be doing something wrong technically.

I've stopped any GT lessons involving strumming because it's so frustrating, and I can't seem to find a solution or reason. I've got 200 hours of practice time, and still cannot get a strum going with up-strums and it makes no sense.

[u][/u]

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/25/2022 1:27 am

I'm sure the instructors probably have better advice but, going through some strumming problems of my own, I have a couple of thoughts. You mentioned going through pretty much everything, but perhaps you can take a moment to reset. Take a deep breath (again, I'm sure) and reset -

1. Choose a really thin pick. It'll sound a bit "sloppy" but that's ok for now.

2. Check (for probably the 100th time) on how you're holding the pick. This turned out to be the main problem for me: improper "pick holding". Really. There are a number of places in the lessons that talk about holding the pick.

3. You're not going to like this, but set the metronome on a low setting, make an "E" chord and ONLY upstrum. Slowly. Make sure the metronome is on a setting you can easily hit.

4. Chances are the pick is turning because your grip is failing and (possibly) your attack is not consistent.

5. Check on how you're anchoring your arm to the guitar. If you're not anchoring somewhere, your attack will most likely be erratic. If your attack is erratic, your fingers will have problems holding the pick.

6. Is your upstrum with only your wrist, only your elbow, or a combination? Perhaps for a while, it may pay off to strum with only the wrist or only the elbow (keeping a steady wrist). At least long enough to get your attack ok. I solved one of my strumming problems (and cleaned up my attack) by only strumming from the elbow for a while.

7. Set a goal of (perhaps) 10 upstrokes with the metronome without the pick rotating. Stop after 10. Rest a minute then do it again. If you can do 10, come back tomorrow and try 12.

Sounds a little robotic I know. Perhaps you can pick a slow beat song, hold the root chord with your right hand and only upstroke on the "one" beat. I dunno - something to liven things up.

Just some thoughts. Know that you're not the only one out there who is "strumming challenged".

Never stop playing

RW

# 2
Gambitt
Full Access
Gambitt
Full Access
01/25/2022 2:01 am

Thank you for the response and advice RW. That certainly is a solid plan, and does make sense. Somewhere in the chain is probably unstable.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2022 12:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Gambitt

Every time the pick hits the low E string on an up-strum, it slightly moves, until after about the 3 strums it faces 90 degrees with the point facing down the neck.

[p]Rumble Walrus gave you some great suggestions, thanks!

Most picking problems are caused by one of, or a combination of, 3 things.

1. Too much tension.

When you first start learning it's complicated & you are focusing intensely on getting everything right! The natural tendency for some beginners is to use too much tension in your arm, hands, pick grip. So you have to make a conscious effort to relax!

This will help you strum in a more natural, relaxed, efficient motion.

2. Digging in too far.

The pick will fight you the whole way if you make it dig too far into the plane of the strings. Aim to barely, lightly graze over the strings. If you go down too far the strings will continually grab the pick & move it all over the place.

3. Ineffective picking angle.

It helps to tilt the pick so it is angled enough to make it easy to graze across the strings. You have to reverse this on the upstrum! This requires slightly rotating your wrist in between down & up strums.

I explain in this video on picking hand mechanics.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12189&s_id=605

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Gambitt
Full Access
Gambitt
Full Access
01/25/2022 1:58 pm

Thank you Mr. Schlegel. I'm definitely overthinking it. [br][br]

Your point about digging in the pick is interesting- if I flip the pick around and strum backwards with the wide end, the sound isn't as good but the hand motion is infinitely smoother and cleaner because nothing can catch the strings.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.