First time 'electric' guitar learner - question

karen_walker_33
karen_walker_33
01/04/2022 11:09 pm

POST CLOSED (asked & answered, thanks to all)

Hi - Re: Guitar Fundamentals - Beginners - pre-purchase question - raised with support and I was directed to the forums. If anyone can provide informed feedback, it's appreciated :)

[br]1. What guitar type (e.g. electric or acoustic) is used during instruction?[br]2. Teachers involved in instruction e.g. noted Anders & Lisa as two seperate routes. Any significant difference between them, for example one focuses on electric or acoustic[br]3. Considering a student with mid range learning capability practicing 1 hour per day. Roughly how long (ball park) might it take for that student to competently compete the fundamentals (1&2) course? I understand its difficult to be specific, I'm simply looking for a general sense of timing.

4. Holding the guitar, I'd like to try a classical stance i.e the guitar neck angled up. Does the course offer any tips on effectively doing this while standing, sitting and using a strap?

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
01/05/2022 5:22 pm

Hi Karen

If you look around the recent posts there have already been a number of similar posts. [br]Either electric or acoustic can be used , so it's your preference as to where you wish to end up.

Electric with lighter strings is definitely easier on the fingers but that is a very short term view

Anders is an update on the fundamentals courses so GT obviously think that will be the way forward.

Cover similar ground in different ways. [br]Try some modules of each and see which or who suits you best.

How long is impossible to answer as I think many will have completed the fundamentals but have not mastered them to a level for an easy transition to the Experienced lesson paths.

Just take it that you will be a good way better than where you start from.

I do most of my playing sitting and off or towards my left leg than off the non classical right leg position. [br]Posture is covered in one of Lisa's GF1 but it's more in the way of not going rock star low as a beginner. [br]I found a couple of YouTube videos useful for that. Around classical and avoiding future back issues.

Sorry , don't have the links. [br]A strap is recommended in a couple of lessons in GT

Good luck going forward.

Many will say you will find what suits and there is no definite 100% right way

Dave

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/05/2022 5:26 pm

Hi Karen

Been awhile since I took Lisa's Fundamentals but I think she uses both. It's important for those new to guitar to understand that it's not easy and in my opinion, because of this, starting out with an instrument that is easier to play has benefits. Electric guitar is much easier to play than an acoustic for several reasons, but to be direct, acoustic guitars take far more pressure and hand strength to play. And I should also point out that in terms of music there are only 12 notes. Doesn't matter what you play, you still have 12 notes to work with.

I have not taken Anders course, but it looks very exciting and he is an excellent teacher as is Lisa.

Time, difficult to say. The more time you practice the better you will become. I would say to stay away from time frames and adopt a stance that guitar is now a part of your life and make it a regular part.

Yes on the 4th. Btw when you stand the neck is angled up but it is not a classical posture. But when Lisa teaches she is standing with the guitar slung in what most would consider "normal" position.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/06/2022 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: karen_walker_33

Hi - Re: Guitar Fundamentals - Beginners - pre-purchase question - raised with support and I was directed to the forums. If anyone can provide informed feedback, it's appreciated :)

[br]1. What guitar type (e.g. electric or acoustic) is used during instruction?[br]2. Teachers involved in instruction e.g. noted Anders & Lisa as two seperate routes. Any significant difference between them, for example one focuses on electric or acoustic[br]3. Considering a student with mid range learning capability practicing 1 hour per day. Roughly how long (ball park) might it take for that student to competently compete the fundamentals (1&2) course? I understand its difficult to be specific, I'm simply looking for a general sense of timing.

4. Holding the guitar, I'd like to try a classical stance i.e the guitar neck angled up. Does the course offer any tips on effectively doing this while standing, sitting and using a strap?

Lots of good advice and I'll just add to it:

1. Either is fine. For the record, electric is easier to learn on. If your eventual goal is to playing music that needs an electric (ie - rock, blues, country, pop etc), might as well consider an electric. Consider your guitar purchase with your end goal in mind. If you are more in to acoustic music, go that way but consider that acoustics tend to be a little harder to learn on and often have heavier guage strings which makes it a little harder (though if you do go acoustic, you might want to consider having the store set up for a lighter guage).

2. Since I've been playing for decades, I never fully looked at fundementals other than a scan through. If I were starting, I would go with Anders as that's the current curriculuum. However, once having done that, it might be worth looking at Lisa's as her's is awesome and you can pick up on things Ander's does not cover.

3. Hot tip from those decades of playing; do not get caught in the trap of how quickly you will progress. It will lead to an enormous amount of frustration. It's a trap. Different people have different apptitudes and physical differences (hand size etc) and that's the wildcard of it all. Your goal is not to complete fundementals (I mean, yes, finish them) but it is to enjoy the process of learning and playing guitar.

To set a baseline for you; you are always learning guitar when you're a guitar player. I started in 1981 and there's always a style or skill that I want to pick up on. That's the point; enjoy learning new things. Basing progress on completing an online lesson is not really speaking to growing musically. As I said, work through fundementals but don't base your progress on it.

4. Use a strap. I've done this since nearly day one and one of the instructors here, Chris, has advised the same as well. Why the strap? It allows you to optimally place the guitar in a position that makes it comfortable for you. As a beginner, trying to manhandle the guitar position, hold the neck and then strum? I make it sound worse than it is but nontheless, you can focus on playing and not fighting the instrument when, which you're new, might seem a bit awkward.

# 4
karen_walker_33
karen_walker_33
01/07/2022 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: ddiddler

Hi Karen

If you look around the recent posts there have already been a number of similar posts. [br]Either electric or acoustic can be used , so it's your preference as to where you wish to end up.

Electric with lighter strings is definitely easier on the fingers but that is a very short term view

Anders is an update on the fundamentals courses so GT obviously think that will be the way forward.

Cover similar ground in different ways. [br]Try some modules of each and see which or who suits you best.

How long is impossible to answer as I think many will have completed the fundamentals but have not mastered them to a level for an easy transition to the Experienced lesson paths.

Just take it that you will be a good way better than where you start from.

I do most of my playing sitting and off or towards my left leg than off the non classical right leg position. [br]Posture is covered in one of Lisa's GF1 but it's more in the way of not going rock star low as a beginner. [br]I found a couple of YouTube videos useful for that. Around classical and avoiding future back issues.

Sorry , don't have the links. [br]A strap is recommended in a couple of lessons in GT

Good luck going forward.

Many will say you will find what suits and there is no definite 100% right way

Dave

Thanks Dave.

To clarify, I was asking about guitar type 'used' in the Fundamentals course (either, both, or one more than the other). I've already chosen my guitar (electric) based on my interest in listening to blues.

Appreciate your experience in guitar positioning alternatives, for me it also feels more natural with placement towwards the centre. So going to explore that.

I understand the length of time is 'as long as it takes', my thinking was, if I can't tie my shoe laces after a year... maybe I should put my hand up and ask for help ;)

# 5
karen_walker_33
karen_walker_33
01/07/2022 3:41 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: karen_walker_33

Lots of good advice and I'll just add to it:

1. Either is fine. For the record, electric is easier to learn on. If your eventual goal is to playing music that needs an electric (ie - rock, blues, country, pop etc), might as well consider an electric. Consider your guitar purchase with your end goal in mind. If you are more in to acoustic music, go that way but consider that acoustics tend to be a little harder to learn on and often have heavier guage strings which makes it a little harder (though if you do go acoustic, you might want to consider having the store set up for a lighter guage).

2. Since I've been playing for decades, I never fully looked at fundementals other than a scan through. If I were starting, I would go with Anders as that's the current curriculuum. However, once having done that, it might be worth looking at Lisa's as her's is awesome and you can pick up on things Ander's does not cover.

3. Hot tip from those decades of playing; do not get caught in the trap of how quickly you will progress. It will lead to an enormous amount of frustration. It's a trap. Different people have different apptitudes and physical differences (hand size etc) and that's the wildcard of it all. Your goal is not to complete fundementals (I mean, yes, finish them) but it is to enjoy the process of learning and playing guitar.

To set a baseline for you; you are always learning guitar when you're a guitar player. I started in 1981 and there's always a style or skill that I want to pick up on. That's the point; enjoy learning new things. Basing progress on completing an online lesson is not really speaking to growing musically. As I said, work through fundementals but don't base your progress on it.

4. Use a strap. I've done this since nearly day one and one of the instructors here, Chris, has advised the same as well. Why the strap? It allows you to optimally place the guitar in a position that makes it comfortable for you. As a beginner, trying to manhandle the guitar position, hold the neck and then strum? I make it sound worse than it is but nontheless, you can focus on playing and not fighting the instrument when, which you're new, might seem a bit awkward.

Thanks JeffS65,

Its an incredible aspect of guitar that it allows so many variations of playing, as you say "you are always learning" and that's pretty cool!

I got my guitar this week and tried placement with and without the strap. Huge difference for me when using the strap, both stability and ease of maintaining a desired position. So couldn't agree more, I'll be using the strap.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.