B7 Chord dosent sound right??

lufcfisher96
lufcfisher96
12/06/2021 5:44 pm

Chord dosent sound right??? I'm making my way through the core learning level 1 and I have approached a song titled "three long days" by lisa mccormick.

For some reason all chords sound great apart from the B7 chord it sounds very strange.

I have restringed my guitar and made sure it is perfectly in tune. I am definitley playing the right notes and all notes ring perfectly but for some reason it still dosent sound right.

Any ideas will be appreciated

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/06/2021 6:57 pm

It is the nature of 7th chords that they sound odd. A 7th chord has 4 notes one of them is a major interval and one is a minor interval. 7th are used alot in Rock and Blues. When I first tried to play them I didn't like the sound. However as my musical pallette grew I started to appreciate them. I had to develop new sensiblities about harmony and then make those a part of how I approached music. I now find them irriplacable and use them all the time.

As long as your guitar is tuned properly, I would suggest you start using 7th so as to develop a broader sence of harmonic structure. It will add a blusy sound to your playing. Once you do that, you will start to enjoy 7ths.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/06/2021 8:51 pm

"dosent sound right" (sic) is a broad remit to interpret. [br][br]snojones covers well salient points I echo and shalln't reiterate.[br][br]Electric, acoustic or classical guitar? You state you've just restrung, so new strings are unlikely a factor -unless you've just restrung [u]with nylon[/u]?[br][br]For a truly meaningful answer you really need to clarify whether you are referring to some technical issue with sounding the B7 chord (ii) [u]by you on your guitar[/u] per se, or that (ii) [u]you just don't like the B7 chord's musicality[/u]?[br][br]As you say "I am definitley playing the right notes and all notes ring perfectly" it doesn't sound as if it's the former, unless intonation is out? Have you checked the individual fretted notes with a tuner for = true when fretting the chord?[br][br]If intonation of any string is out, that string can sound perfectly in tune when tuned to standard tuning with the nut fretting, but when finger fretted elsewhere on the neck, a note can present flat or sharp which can make a chord sound 'off' to the discerning ear.

[br]To determine if it's intonation, check it. Tune to standard tuning and check notes when fretted at the 12th fret. If that's OK, or once adusted at the bridge (electric) to be so if it isn't, then recheck each [u]fretted[/u] note of the B7 chord individually. It that checks all OK, then case (ii) applies. Accept through exposure over time when you might warm to it, not a lot can be done about the sense of musicality to the individual ear until it develops. [br][br]For a perceptional comparative, B7 doesn't sound either "strange" or odd to my ear, but very much a pleasing favourite when played in any form, probably because I play a little Blues where it features large & lots of The Beatles where like Bm, B7 was a favourite of theirs too in so much of their earlier through mid-period material. e.g. B7 in every verse of "You're Going to Lose That Girl" (Help, Aug 1965). [br][br]HF&GL[br] [br][br][br]

# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
12/06/2021 9:06 pm

Are you strumming the 6th string?

If so, it won't sound right :)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.