What scales should I learn as a beginner

mojowkng9
mojowkng9
12/02/2021 11:35 am

Hi all I'm using gt for 2 months I'm wondering what scales I should learn..and if I should play all patterns at once or take one pattern at a time..I'm into classic rock and blues any suggestions...thx for any input.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/02/2021 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: mojowkng9

Hi all I'm using gt for 2 months I'm wondering what scales I should learn..and if I should play all patterns at once or take on pattern at a time..I'm into classic rock and blues any suggestions...thx for any input.

It depends on your current skill level & musical goals.

Since you mention being a beginner I'm assuming you are working through the fundamentals courses. And that's a great place to learn to play the diatonic major & minor scales in one octave in the lower register of the guitar.

This is great for learning the physical technique of playing single note lines & getting used to the sound of the scales.

If you start at this lesson & work through the subsequent lessons I explain the C major scale for beginners, A minor scale, C minor for contrast & how to practice them.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=10664&s_id=363

This tutorial has basic scale exercises for beginners.

Scale practice exercises

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=451

Eventually, you should work on learning the variations on the diatonic major & minor scales, the pentatonic major & minor scales. Those will be essential for learning rkock & blues styles of music!

But for now just focus on the fundamentals & practice the basic major & minor scales in the above lessons.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.