Complete Beginner Guitar?

alfydoor
alfydoor
11/29/2021 6:02 pm

Hi. I'm looking to take up the guitar and really like the look of the site. I particularly liked the free guitar offer, but shipping costs to Scotland make it a bit prohibitive.

So I'm looking to join the lessons and buy my own guitar here. Can anyone tell me the model or specifications or recommend a similar kind of guitar? I do like the idea of the nylon strings! Similar price bracket too?!

Never handled a guitar in my life but since I'm now forcibly retired I thought I'd give it a go. Bit late at 60 maybe?!

Thanks guys :)

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/29/2021 8:15 pm

Newcastle boy here so just south of you.

At 67 yrs a bit north of you. Never too late[br]About 18 months now and it's slow going. Don't expect to be on stage anytime soon.[br]Have a look at Guitarguitar, PMT online and Andertons to get an idea of what you might like.

I started with a Tanglewood Blackbird, folk/concert size. [br]Steel string but just took a couple of weeks for finger pain to ease off. You can always fit lighter strings but not nylon strings.

Now I play a Faith Naked Neptune which is a parlour size, a smaller guitar.

Plenty of acoustic below £150

Fender CC60 always gets good reviews as a beginner acoustic. [br]Just go and have a browse and see what catches your eye.

Dave

# 2
alfydoor
alfydoor
11/30/2021 12:44 pm

Cheers ddiddler. Much appreciated

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/02/2021 3:32 pm

Anything caught your eye.

Colours, size.

Any stores near you. [br]very intimidating going in to a store at our age.

only had to do it a couple of times. Wasn't as bad as feared

Dave

# 4
alfydoor
alfydoor
12/02/2021 5:08 pm

Hi Dave

Have just bought a cheapo from Amazon for now, similar in specs and price to the free offer (I think!)

Will see how it goes with the lessons from this. No expectations or goals. If it's fun, that'll do me :)

Cheers

Ray

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/03/2021 9:56 am

A good plan

Think most do that,

No big outlay until we've seen how we go

but keep looking at the bonny pictures and promise yourself a better one if you stick it out for a period of time , say 6 months or a year. also keeps you going to that prize

Hope you've bought yourself a cheap tuner as well

Makes all the difference, again plenty on amazon

Good Luck.

Dave

# 6
manXcat
manXcat
12/03/2021 8:41 pm
Originally Posted by: alfydoor

Can anyone tell me the model or specifications or recommend a similar kind of guitar? I do like the idea of the nylon strings! Similar price bracket too?!

Bit late at 60 maybe?!

[p]

Hello alfydoor. 60 isn't too late to enjoy [u]learning[/u] guitar, unless you have specific health issues extraordinary for age. i.e. osteoarthritus.[br][br]Most important questions, A. what's your budget, if any. B. Have you thought about so you have a clear idea of the kind of musical direction you'd like to pursue with guitar. [br][br]And I concur with the others. Either do your ressearch online to discern the differences in purpose and playablity, or phone or go to a store like PMT in person. The ones ddiddler mentioned in the UK all have a ton of videos on You Tube for all levels of guitarists including entry level.[br][br]Re nylon string. [u]Generalising[/u], there are two types of acoustic guitar featuring nylon strings. Conventional config Classical guitars, and Acoustic hybrids usually with a more contemporary config and features like a cutaway, sometimes with an onboard pre-amp, but featuring nylon strings for tone and feel.[br][br]The UK has superior access to quite a range of native brands which are good quality and reasonably priced. e.g. Tanglewood.[br][br]That said, for my money, in that style can't go past something from this range (very affordable Cort CE1 featured, but scroll to the bottom for the entire nylon stringed acoustic range) for playability, tone, & performance [u]bang for the buck.[/u]

[br]You might find some of the reviews and general buying advice for first timers on John Coupland's YT page relatable and of interest, particularly if considering second hand to start with.[br][br]All the best with your search, whatever you end up with. Beginning the journey is an exciting time.[br][br]P.S. Oops. Just saw your most recent post in the thread re bought from Amazon. Will leave this post in situ regardless. Amazon's might go back yet.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.