View post (a moral dilemma)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/07/2003 12:23 am
Originally posted by SLY
And how the hell would you like Iraq to prove they have no WMDs ? It's not logical dude , not at all !
Iraq claims they don't have WMDs , they let the inspectors go everywhere they please , they opened Presidential palaces for inspections ... What else would you like them to do ?!

For a start, Iraq could volunteer information to the inspectors. In 65,000 pages of documentation submitted to the UN about their WMD programs, Iraq offered NO information that the inspectors didn't know four years ago. Not one new shred of information. BOTH of the head weapons inspectors say that Iraq has to do A LOT more to comply, and much of that relates to volunteering new information. Something the Iraqis simply aren't doing. Don't beleive me? Read the report. It's not difficult to find.
-Next, the Iraqis could account for their weapons stockpiles. As an example, Iraq admists to producing 8,500 liters of Anthrax (the UN inspection teams estimate it was actually 25,000 liters), but to date NOT ONE LITER HAS BEEN ACCOUNTED FOR. Not a single one. Nothing saying "it was destroyed at location X on day Y, and we destroyed it by method Z." Instead they just claim they don't have it any more.
-Third, Saddam could stop trying to import weapons materials such as equpiment to enrich Uranium or rocket engines with ranges that exceed the limits set by the UN. They've been cought doing both in the past three months.
-Fourth, the UN inspectors still aren't being allowed to use U2 spy planes to perform reconosance. This leaves the inspectors stuck inspecting locations they knew about four years ago, but no way to scout for new sites. This is one many ways in which the Iraqi government is impeeding the inspectors ability to find new information.
-Finally, all indications say that the Iraqis are trying to play shell games with their weapons (again), moving their materials out of sites before inspectors show up, then moving them back after they're sure it's safe to move them back. Colin Powell released just yesterday intercepted communications that basicly boil down to Iraqi officers calling their subordinants to remind them that the inspecters are coming and making sure that EVERYTHING IS HIDDEN. But they must mean the snack foods, right? They wouldn't want the UN inspectors mooching any donuts, now would they? And the commander ordering his troops to stop mentioning chemical and biological weapons in electronic transmissions "because they're listening" was really talking about his Playboy subscription, right?

I'm leaving out a ton of very easily obtainable information and it doesn't come from just American intelligence resourses either. It's cross referencable and Iraqi diplomats still insist it's all lies. And yet people still defend them.

It's simply as I said ... The U.S. government is completely determined to invade Iraq no matter what !

Almost right - the US government is completely determined to see Saddam Hussein disarmed NOW, and if he doesn't comply with the UN now he will be invaded. The Bush administration is dead set in seeing this issue put to rest as soon as possible, and by military means if neccesary. Unfortunately, Saddam Hussein is completely determined to to hold onto his WMDs and WMD programs (or completely incompitant). That sadly means that compromise will be only found in blood (maybe even mine), but in the long run, taking action now will probably save a lot more lives than it costs.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons