View post (a moral dilemma)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
01/23/2003 8:26 am
I was a victim of bullying when I was a kid in school.And it wasn't your usual small stuff bullying.It was serious.So much so that I don't talk to that kid(he's an adult now,duh!!),tho' he kinda looks and acts remorseful(he tried for quite a while to get friendly with me,but I just wasn't moved.Or maybe it's my subconsciuos wishing he feels sorry for what he did to me,and I end up interpreting a simple hi as a sign of remorse).Other kids who were in my class still remember how it was...
Anyway,my point is that,in retrospect,it may have helped me if I had a big brother in school to protect me.I may not have suffered at his hands.But doing this would not have taught me what rebelling against the bully taught me,coz I(and the rest of the boys in the class did rebel,eventually).I learnt that it's all mental.It's simply about having the mental strength to stand up to somebody.We stood up against him,and it worked.
Working to topple an oppressive govt. is being big brother.It may help in the short term.It doesn't in the long term.It doesn't build the people's character.It doesn't develop their ability to take their destiny into their own hands.
At the end of the day,life is about taking your own destiny into your own hands.Self determination.True freedom.When you're truly free,nobody tells you how to run our country.No one helps you deal with bad govt.Or with floods,or famine or what have you.You deal with your own ****,and ask for help when you feel you need help.From someone who respects you.
There's thousands od homeless people in The USA.How come no one is telling Bsh how to deal with it?How would Bush feel if some foreign govt.,which is militarily and economically mightier tried to force his govt. to spare,say,8B $,to help america's homeless?
I think Bush is a guy who's leading a country that is in relatively good shape,and can't find any real "tough"(he is texan,right?)macho decisions to make.
A war would make him look like he dealt with this huge crisis...blah.......
In situations where intervention is really needed,you see a lot of cross-border agreement,which you don't see here.