Moving major shapes

darickmendes
darickmendes
08/07/2021 4:35 am

Good day, I am kind of confused with the pattern of the names for the major moving shapes from the acoustic course , may I explanation ?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2021 2:20 pm
Originally Posted by: darickmendes

Good day, I am kind of confused with the pattern of the names for the major moving shapes from the acoustic course , may I explanation ?

What lesson are you referring to?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
darickmendes
darickmendes
08/08/2021 1:19 am

Basically the part of all the major shqpe moving like E ,D . From acoustic level 1

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/08/2021 3:37 pm

Basically the part of all the major shqpe moving like E ,D . From acoustic level 1

I'm still not sure exactly what lesson you are referring to. But I'm guessing that you are having trouble with associating open chord shapes (which have one specific musical alpahbet name) with changing it to a different chord name.

Start by making sure you understand the musical alphabet & how it's arranged on the fretboard.

For example, you need to know the notes on the A string all the way up & down the fretboard. I cover that in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11256&s_id=450

Then I show how you can use those notes to play any & all major chords with one shape.

The same principle works for any chord shape. As soon as you move it to a different root note you've changed all the notes of the chord & you have a different chord even though it's the same shape & fingering pattern.

Make sense? Does that help?

I also cover this topic using the CAGED open chords in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2614

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
darickmendes
darickmendes
08/08/2021 8:58 pm

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=29273&s_id=2488 sorry for the confusion

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/09/2021 11:23 am

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=29273&s_id=2488 sorry for the confusion

Got it, thanks! Those chords have odd names because the notes of the open strings have to be accounted for. There are two things happening in that lesson.

1. The same shape is being used to slide up the fretboard on some strings. This results in the process I described in my previous post. Same shape but different notes results in a different chord. This would be easy if you leave out the open strings.

For example, slide an E major chord shape up 1 fret & you get an F major chord.

|-------------|

|-------------|

|--1----2-----|

|--2----3-----|

|--2----3-----|

|-------------|

But you have to play just those fretted notes. Or else move the open strings up as well.

|--0----1-----|

|--0----1-----|

|--1----2-----|

|--2----3-----|

|--2----3-----|

|--0----1-----|

Which is how we get barre chords.

2. The open strings in that tutorial do not change. So they must be accounted for. So, we figure out what notes they are & how what interval they are according to the root note of the chord being played at the time.

Again, slide an E major chord shape up 1 fret & you get an F major chord.

|-------------|

|-------------|

|--1----2-----|

|--2----3-----|

|--2----3-----|

|-------------|

But if we just leave the open strings where they are, we get this.

|--0----0-----|

|--0----0-----|

|--1----2-----|

|--2----3-----|

|--2----3-----|

|--0----0-----|

Now we have to figure out the name of that 2nd chord by accounting for how the open strings relate to the F chord. So we label the note names & then the scale degree from the note F.

|--0--(E)-(7)-----|

|--0--(B)-(#4)----|

|--2--(A)-(3)----|

|--3--(F)-(1)----|

|--3--(C)-(5)----|

|--0--(E)--(7)----|

So this chord is an F major 7 add #4. And you can use the slash chord notation because the E noteis in the bass & not one of the main scale degree notes that make up the chord 1st-3rd-5th

So, you get F major 7 add#4/E.

This the process used to name all chords. Pick a root note, then label all the notes being played as some scale degree interval from that root note. If the chord has a lot of notes that are unusual intervals related to the root note, and not part of the scale degrees used to make the chord (1-3-5), then it's going to have an unusual name to account for all those ornamental, extended harmony notes.

I explain the basics of chord names in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13626&s_id=824

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
darickmendes
darickmendes
08/09/2021 8:01 pm

So basically the farther we move on frets , we go by the alphabets, like from A to B to C and so on?

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/10/2021 11:23 am

So basically the farther we move on frets , we go by the alphabets, like from A to B to C and so on?

Yes, this is why it's important to know the layout and location of the musical alphabet notes on all strings across the fretboard.

Again, in this lesson I show the layout of all the note letters on the A string. There's a handy graphic, too!

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11256&s_id=450

Then I show how to move one similar shape to play different lettered chords moving up the fretboard. Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.