Old 'newbie' having problems.

kaygarysteve
kaygarysteve
07/17/2021 11:28 am

Hello, I'm Steve and I'm in my late 50's who suddenly felt the urge to fix one of my biggest regrets, that being never learning to play the guitar. So I bought a beginners guitar kit and started watching some online courses.

But I'm having a royally hard time, I knew it would be hard to learn and I fully accept it will be a mountain to climb and need a lot of determination and practice but already I'm having a problem with my fingers.

My main problem is, I'm having an incredibly hard time positioning my fingers, mainly because I can't see where my fingers are without tilting the guiter over (which makes it harder to position them because my wrist won't bend that far)

Can you recommmend a book or some kind of aid that will help me?

Thank you

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/17/2021 3:15 pm

I was almost 57 when I decided it was time to learn to play. That was 2 years ago. What you are describing is common and believe it or not, the more time spent on the neck, the easier it becomes. I used to tilt the guitar, I had too. Even now I find myself looking at the fretboard, just not as often and with such deliberation.

It's a difficult instrument.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/19/2021 6:27 pm

Try playing in front of a mirror. That way you'll be able to see your fingers without tilting the guitar.

Eventually, you'll need to play without looking at your fingers. Or even play with your eyes closed; not essential, but is a fun way of testing muscle memory.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.