floyd rose trouble

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
01/20/2003 6:55 pm
i'm having trouble on my Floyd Rose Liscensed tremolo on my Jacson DXMG. when i don't play it overnight the strings go out of tune. first few times they were progressively going flat. everynight it would tune down a quarter step and i had to retune at the bridge everytime. i soon ran out of room to turn the pegs on the tremolo. i then retuned the whole thing and now it does the same thing except it detunes a quarter step sharp. i'm just about out of room ont the pegs again and i can't seem to maintain a tuning. any help would be appreciated.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/21/2003 1:03 am
Since it had gone both flat & sharp I don't think the problem is in you FR sys.

1-May be your strings are too old... Some strings cause tuning problems as they get older.

2-Perhaps it's just the temperature changing that cause this... It's very normal that your tuning significantly changes when you move from an air conditioned room into open air & vice versa.
# 2
N4Player
N4Player
01/21/2003 3:38 am
Floyds are tricky... i agree with the temperature concept. Another thing - looks like you're playing with the bridge tuning alot - one or two turns on the low E or A will throw the whole thing out. I always let the tuning screws all the way out - then tune - and go back and retune again - normally takes me 3 go arounds to get em all in. Then I lock it all down. The strings should not go sharp after this (unless you have some serious temp chnages) Then you just adjust the bridge screws as the strings stretch out (and go flat). Forgot to mention - if your bridge is starting to rise up on you, you need to open the back plate and turn the screws into the body a couple turns to re-tension the springs.
-Bob

[Edited by N4Player on 01-20-2003 at 09:41 PM]
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 3
darthig88
darthig88
01/31/2003 12:23 am
1 unlock the nut
2 bring the tuning pegs to abiut halfway up
3 take your backplate off and check the distance between the edge of the wood and the tremunit with a ruler,make sure it`s the same distance all the way across the tremunit,adjust the spring[loosen or tightin the screws to where the unit is even all the way across,after that is done tune the Guitar to your liking[tuning]leave the bridgetuners alone after tuning lockit all down.

When you take you Gtr from it`s case let it acclimate[get used to the temp of the room] for at least 20min, temp has alot to do with it going outta tune.
also check that your neck screws havent backed out of the body,a little shift in the neck even by a millimeter it will send it outta tune.I would not recomend that you mess with the trussrod[leave that to a shop]

Hope this helps
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.