Hammer and pull off

darickmendes
darickmendes
07/03/2021 12:11 am

Does the hammer and pull off technique all depends on how how I strum with the right hand ? Like the harder I strum the string , the more likely i can make a sound with the technique ?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/03/2021 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: darickmendes

Does the hammer and pull off technique all depends on how how I strum with the right hand ? Like the harder I strum the string , the more likely i can make a sound with the technique ?

No, hammer-on & pull-off technique all depends on your fretting hand strength & dexterity.

This tutorial is a series of exercises that can help you build the strength & dexterity required to do effective hammer-ons & pull-offs.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

Hope that helps! Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/03/2021 3:19 pm

Hammer ons and pull offs are a fretting hand trick. Hammer ons use percussive pressure from you finger hammering a string down on the fretboard, to sound a new note.... (no strumming hand involvment, other than to keep out of the way and prep for the next note in the phrase).

Pull offs, are accomplished by plucking a string, not with you strumming hand, but rather with your fretting hand once again. It all happens at the fret board. If you are playing a note and, instead of picking with you stumming hand to get the next note in a phrase, you quickly pull you fretting finger off sideways. If done right, you can sound the next note in your phrase. Again... no strumming hand involvement other than to be ready for the next note comming up.

Hammer ons and pull offs are strictly a fretting hand trick. It allows you the ability to pick notes faster than you would if you had to use your strumming hand to pick all the notes. Because you are changing which hand does picking in mid phrase, it takes a lot practice to do either of these moves smoothly ....

I didn't say that it was esay :-)

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.