Acoustic advice

dkabanad
dkabanad
06/17/2021 11:17 am

Hello everyone,

Can you advice me an acoustic guitar. First I thought Harley Benton D-120CE NT but somehow I didn't like the sound. I don't want a awesome one because I am planning to switch/co-play electric in the future but I want a clean/bright sound if it is possible.

My budget might be around 150 euros. But I might go a bit higher if it is very strong advice at the end I am just a noob.

Thank you very much in advance

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/18/2021 6:11 pm

Every guitar sounds so different and feels different as well. You'll definitely want to go to your local music shop to try them in person. You'll learn a lot by getting the guitars in your hands!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
06/19/2021 1:44 am

A relatively inexpensive option is to try different makes of strings. Different brands can sound significantly different in brightness. Maybe someone can offer suggestions. I use Elixirs but I think those tend to be darker in tone.

# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
06/20/2021 4:01 am

Hello, my ideas are based on what I am familiar with in the US. Yamaha acoustics are considered an excellent buy for the dollar. Solid spruce top, solid build. [br][br]

Even with Yamaha (as with other guitar makers), there are different body shapes that impact sound. Ex: dreadnaught project sound more. However, they are larger to hold. Jumbo bodies-more sound and larger. Then you get to smaller body sizes.

Gretsch's Jim Dandy has an old blues twang and is in your budget. also, Recording King goes with the 30s acoustic blues vibe. [br][br]

at this point, it's important that the body shape feels right to you and is comfortable to hold, strum and hold a chord. [br][br]what have you looked at (even if only online) that appeals to you?

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 4
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
06/21/2021 8:49 am

In UK

at under 150 Eu there is still a good range of manufacturers and sizes.

East Coast, Fender , Cort . Tanglewood.

I have used Tanglewood Blackbird. which is orchestra/folk size. Got me started and now upgrading

Tanglewood Crossroads gets very good reviews for a low price guitar as does the Fender CC which is a concert size. or CP which is smaller at Parlour size

Lots of youtube reviews, never sure how independant any of them are but always worth a view.

Everybody agrees there are not many bad guitars any more at the starter/budget end.

Dave

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
06/21/2021 8:53 am

and if you do find one that takes your fancy there are loads on Amazon Marketplace, Musical Instrument section from those who have tried and failed or upgraded.

Always worth a look

Dave

# 6
dkabanad
dkabanad
06/22/2021 7:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Sasha-B

Hello, my ideas are based on what I am familiar with in the US. Yamaha acoustics are considered an excellent buy for the dollar. Solid spruce top, solid build. [br][br]

Even with Yamaha (as with other guitar makers), there are different body shapes that impact sound. Ex: dreadnaught project sound more. However, they are larger to hold. Jumbo bodies-more sound and larger. Then you get to smaller body sizes.

Gretsch's Jim Dandy has an old blues twang and is in your budget. also, Recording King goes with the 30s acoustic blues vibe. [br][br]

at this point, it's important that the body shape feels right to you and is comfortable to hold, strum and hold a chord. [br][br]what have you looked at (even if only online) that appeals to you?

I only checked harley bentons and fenders. Till they are the only brands I know so far.

Yamaha was usually out of my price range

# 7
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
06/22/2021 9:40 pm

Okay. I think both Harley Benton and Fender at the highest price you can afford is the way to go. I'd suggest what is called a parlor shape or concert shape body. It's smaller than a dreadnaught so easier to work the strumming hand or picking individual strings.

2021 Iris CH

# 8
stees777
stees777
06/26/2021 2:57 am
Originally Posted by: dkabanad

I only checked harley bentons and fenders. Till they are the only brands I know so far.

Yamaha FG-800 was a wonderful guitar, I had it, but the size (full dreadnought) was too big for me so I traded. I paid 199$+tax brand new.

# 9
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
06/26/2021 3:38 am

What did you trade in for? I own smaller bodied acoustics. One is a parlor sized and the other is a similar size. [br][br]

quote=stees777]

Originally Posted by: Sasha-B[p]Hello, my ideas are based on what I am familiar with in the US. Yamaha acoustics are considered an excellent buy for the dollar. Solid spruce top, solid build. [br][br]

[/quote]

Yamaha FG-800 was a wonderful guitar, I had it, but the size (full dreadnought) was too big for me so I traded. I paid 199$+tax brand new.

2021 Iris CH

# 10
stees777
stees777
07/08/2021 10:31 pm

What did you trade in for? I own smaller bodied acoustics. One is a parlor sized and the other is a similar size. [br][br]

quote=stees777]

Originally Posted by: Sasha-B[p]Hello, my ideas are based on what I am familiar with in the US. Yamaha acoustics are considered an excellent buy for the dollar. Solid spruce top, solid build. [br][br]

[/quote]

I got Taylor GS mini. The size was perfect for me.

# 11
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
07/09/2021 4:54 am

Congrats on the new Taylor!

2021 Iris CH

# 12
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/08/2021 7:13 pm

I'd say try to go for a Yamaha. I've found the quality of these is worth that slightly higher spend. If you spend too little money, you could end up with a guitar that is difficult to play and could put you off playing altogether.

I've seen the word "dreadnought" used in a few replies, but none of the models mentioned are "dreadnought"; I think people are confusing these with Jumbo size guitars. Dreadnoughts are bigger.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 13
cw.smith15
cw.smith15
08/30/2021 2:37 am

I tried a few smaller guitar bodies, then i got washburn medium small body and wow!!

It has a great sound. It's model BTS24S-D. It is the one with birds on the fretboard. Please check it out!!! I have other high end acoustics but my washburn beats them.

CWS "stretch"

# 14
deepiper9
Full Access
deepiper9
Full Access
08/31/2021 2:20 am

I have the smaller Yamaha FS-800 and I love it. Same price as the FG-800, except a concert size instead of the dreadnaught. It's a great guitar. MIght be just what you are looking for.

# 15
john.cunningham1226
john.cunningham1226
09/08/2021 11:33 am

It is very important to find the best quality guitar possible within your price range, even if it is used. An older Yamaha will be within your budget and will be higher quality than many new guitars. In fact, a well made acoustic will get better with age. [br][br]

I started out with a new guitar of moderate quality and did not progress rapidly in my development. I then bought a used Yamaha FS-700 and was amazed how much better it sounded and how much easier it was to play. I also replaced the strings with Martin Silk & Steel strings, which had a softer tone and feel. The strings were much much easier on my fingers.

Buying a used guitar, that had been well maintained, made practicing easier and much more rewarding. Learning new chords, techniques, and songs was more enjoyable because the resulting music sounded so much sweeter. I would highly recommend finding a very good used guitar to start out.

# 16
williewagner13
williewagner13
07/07/2022 4:18 pm

Hi there,

Idk if my reply is relevant anymore to your post or you've bought your guitar already but I was gonna suggest looking into Epiphone SG Special ( https://oasisguitar.com/electric-guitars/epiphone-sg-special-electric-guitar ). Costs around 199$ here in US so I thought might just be around your preferred budget.

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.