Guitar selection

dkabanad
dkabanad
06/13/2021 9:28 pm

I know this might be asked a million times. But I had to ask to express myself because other threads are not actually answering my question.

I recently moved to another country. I used to have a cort x-6 (probobly it was 10+ years old) and a classical guitar and blackstar id 10 amp. I was trying to learn to play as a hobbie. I only learned a few songs and chords and a few riffs. While moving I had to left my guitar back. And honestly it was not a very bad thing for me.

Because first of all I never like the sound of the blackstar id10 amp. Somehow it always sounded bad to my ear. At some point I bought a vox amplug2 classic rock but it didn't sound as beatiful as advertised.

Now I want to buy a new guitar in this new country. But because of the covid I don't have luxury to go store to store. Can you advice me something?

1)I want a good sound. Also I am open to plugins too(I have zero knowledge about them I just heard them from a tutor). Although I am not very rich I might expend my budget to 300 or mayve even euros. Please advice me an amp too because I am a total noob at that subject.

2)Even if I buy a expensive amp I can't play it on all time. So I need something sounds good when I connect headphones too. And ıf you have headphone advices. I can only thank you more.

3) I always dreamed of playing rock and blues solos. I just wanted to say it.

and last but most important one is that I am very thankful for your time.

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
06/13/2021 11:32 pm

@dkabanad, I apologize at the onset. This is not going to be helpful at all. But I certainly can not help, and I'm doubtful if anyone else can, without knowing your answer to #1. We need to know if you want to purchase an acoustic or an electric.

Help us help you! Let us know if you want to start with an electric or acoustic. Of course, you can start learning on either. There are some great instructors and also very knowledgeable students that will provide intelligent direction once we know.

And before long you will be doing more than just dreaming "of playing rock and blues solos"!

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
dkabanad
dkabanad
06/14/2021 8:47 am

Thanks @matonanjin2 I changed my question thanks to your answer.

I am actually looking for an electric guitar. First question was a bit unnecessary.

# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
06/14/2021 2:21 pm

In your price range new for guitars (not an exhaustive list-just a few that came to my mind when I think of blues and rock)

yamaha pacifica (it's their version of a strat, can't think of the model name)

Harley Benton-TE 52 (telecaster style)

Harley Benton strat style

Squier classic vibe series strat or tele

Amps: laney makes a few on the cheaper side. [br]I own the strum buddy-it's nice for what it is and I use it over the plug-in style. [br][br]

I'm not sure where I'm Europe you're located, but Thomann music has a strong online presence and a big selection. They also sell B-stock items (slightly blemished) which are cheaper. [br][br]

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 4
dkabanad
dkabanad
06/14/2021 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Sasha-B

In your price range new for guitars (not an exhaustive list-just a few that came to my mind when I think of blues and rock)

Harley Benton-TE 52 (telecaster style)

Harley Benton strat style

Squier classic vibe series strat or tele

Amps: laney makes a few on the cheaper side. [br]I own the strum buddy-it's nice for what it is and I use it over the plug-in style. [br][br]

I'm not sure where I'm Europe you're located, but Thomann music has a strong online presence and a big selection. They also sell B-stock items (slightly blemished) which are cheaper. [br][br]

Hey thanks for the answer

To be honest I really want a good -ish- sound so I wanna buy the best amp and guitar according to budget. I used to have a blackstar amp and it wasn't sounding good(it was a second hand maybe it was busted and I was too noob to understand)

I'll check your suggestions thank you

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
06/14/2021 10:03 pm

I own a vox mini 5, which is a nice amp with various options to play around with. If you can find one used from a reputable store, it's another amp to add to your list. [br][br]

Fender makes nice amps- maybe the mustang?

Whether we are new or not, I think it's important we like the sound. Different makers have different sounds.

it's good you are finding out what suits your ears as you look to buy again.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 6
dkabanad
dkabanad
06/16/2021 10:00 am

I own a vox mini 5, which is a nice amp with various options to play around with. If you can find one used from a reputable store, it's another amp to add to your list. [br][br]

Fender makes nice amps- maybe the mustang?

Whether we are new or not, I think it's important we like the sound. Different makers have different sounds.

it's good you are finding out what suits your ears as you look to buy again.

Thank you very much

# 7
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
06/16/2021 3:33 pm

The name is "Pacifica" if we are talking about the same model.

This is the guitar Santa brought me when I decided to take up guitar playing again in retirement. And @dkabanad, this is a great suggestion. I spent months learning on it. And now, my granddaughter and grandson are learning on it. Do you think Papa would let his grandkids try and learn on a crummy guitar?!?!

It is their version of a Strat as @Sasha-B said. But it is an HSS pickup configuration. If you go to my link, which takes you to Thomann Music, you will see that in the guitar specs. This is possibly getting into deep tone discussion for a self described "noob". Sorry.

But Strats are [u]S[/u]ingle coil pickup guitars (unless you get their HSS version). They have 3 single coil pickups. It's what gives them the characteristic Strat sound. The Strat "spank", the 60's rock sound, the surf music.

The Les Paul's have [u]H[/u]umbuckers. It's what gives them the rock "growl", the Zepellin sound, etc.

This Pacifica gives you the hybrid version where one can go to the neck pickup for the Strat single coild sound or the bridge pickup for the humbucker tone. A lot of flexibility and a lot of fun! Keep in mind that this is an inexpensive guitar and they are, by budget necessity, cheaper pickups. I had actually purchased some better pickups to put in mine. I just never got around to it.

But this is a great suggestion for a starter guitar and will give you the opportunity to explore the dichotomy (Strat vs. LP; single coil vs humbucker) we have in electric guitar music.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 8
dkabanad
dkabanad
06/17/2021 10:32 am
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2

The name is "Pacifica" if we are talking about the same model.

This is the guitar Santa brought me when I decided to take up guitar playing again in retirement. And @dkabanad, this is a great suggestion. I spent months learning on it. And now, my granddaughter and grandson are learning on it. Do you think Papa would let his grandkids try and learn on a crummy guitar?!?!

It is their version of a Strat as @Sasha-B said. But it is an HSS pickup configuration. If you go to my link, which takes you to Thomann Music, you will see that in the guitar specs. This is possibly getting into deep tone discussion for a self described "noob". Sorry.

But Strats are [u]S[/u]ingle coil pickup guitars (unless you get their HSS version). They have 3 single coil pickups. It's what gives them the characteristic Strat sound. The Strat "spank", the 60's rock sound, the surf music.

The Les Paul's have [u]H[/u]umbuckers. It's what gives them the rock "growl", the Zepellin sound, etc.

This Pacifica gives you the hybrid version where one can go to the neck pickup for the Strat single coild sound or the bridge pickup for the humbucker tone. A lot of flexibility and a lot of fun! Keep in mind that this is an inexpensive guitar and they are, by budget necessity, cheaper pickups. I had actually purchased some better pickups to put in mine. I just never got around to it.

But this is a great suggestion for a starter guitar and will give you the opportunity to explore the dichotomy (Strat vs. LP; single coil vs humbucker) we have in electric guitar music.

Well this was one of the best comments I get on various platform. You make me smile while describing the guitar and I assure you it is a rare talent. Thank you very much man:)

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.