Inconsistencies in chord charts

Walt Jabsco
Walt Jabsco
05/22/2021 9:35 pm

Hi, new member here.

I have downloaded the 'Essential Chords for Beginners' PDF but I notice there are discrepancies with the chords shown in the Toolbox section of the website. Every chord in the PDF (except Emaj, Emin, and Gmaj) does not match with any chord variation in the toolbox. Is the PDF wrong or the toolbox wrong?

https://www.guitartricks.com/redesign/graphics/beginner_chord_chart_guitartricks.pdf

vs

https://www.guitartricks.com/chords

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/23/2021 3:49 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: Walt Jabsco

Every chord in the PDF (except Emaj, Emin, and Gmaj) does not match with any chord variation in the toolbox. Is the PDF wrong or the toolbox wrong?

[p]Neither. There are many ways to play any given chord. Any major chord consists of 3 notes from it's parent scale.

For example, the C major chord is formed by playing the root (C), 3rd (E) & 5th (G) notes from the C major scale. And there are many different ways to combine those 3 notes together on the guitar!

But as a beginner you have to start somewhere! So you learn just one basic way to play every major & minor chord.

The essential chords chart is supposed to be a summary of what you will learn throughout the beginner courses. It's not supposed to be where you start. After all, that's what the Fundamentals course is about: starting at zero & learning step by step, chord by chord, etc.

There's no way a beginner can be expected to take a chart with no explanation & play all those chords. It's just a suppliment to use after you've worked through the courses & have practiced all the material.

Regarding the tool box, it's a reference source, not a learning method. It's more like a dictionary of many possible voicings of all possible chords. But you don't learn to read by using a dictionary! You use it after you've already got some skills built & are looking to improve & refine your existing skills & ideas.

So, the beginner PDF has only one way to play the C major chord.

But notice that variation 1 is exactly the voicing used on the beginner PDF. :) The other variations are just different ways to also voice a C major chord.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Walt Jabsco
Walt Jabsco
05/24/2021 6:43 am

Hi Christopher and thanks for your reply.

I appreciate there are many ways to play the same chord, and that is what the toolbox section shows. But my point here is that in the example you provide, the Cmaj chord (and many others) is different in the two sources.

The toolbox shows not to play string 6 in the Cmaj chord, but the chart does not even show this.

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
05/24/2021 9:10 am

OK Walter

I was struggling to see your point.

The toolbox uses a clear X to let you know the string is nit played.

Your seeing the chart as where to place your fingers but seeing it ok to strum every one as there is no X

It would appear that strings to be played open have the blue circle as an indicator.

In A maj and C maj there is no blue circle on the 6th string so it is not to be played.

Only strum a red for a fret or blue for open

Just how your seeing it I think

Dave

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/24/2021 11:39 am
Originally Posted by: Walt Jabsco

The toolbox shows not to play string 6 in the Cmaj chord, but the chart does not even show this.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll see if this can be edited!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.