modes and scale memorzation

Ginner
Ginner
01/17/2003 12:46 am
1- i know there are different formulas for different modes/scales. i am going to memorize the formulas and every note on the guitar. but i have some problems. i was told to memorize the formulas both in the pattern 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and w w h w w w h. i have a "guitar grimoire" that has some of the formulas. they have all the modes and alot of scales, but every once and a whil i will find something like minor pentatonic and then mode 1 mode 2 ect, . does this mean there is 7 modes for every scale? ohh yea, and is my meomrixing practice thingey going to help? thanks

:confused::confused:
Do or do not. There is no try.

# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/17/2003 3:35 am
Every scale has as many modes as it has notes in the scale. Like the major and minor scales have 7 modes, and the pentatonics have 5 modes. A Mode is just taking a scale and starting on other note rather than the root note.

Take the A major scale for example. A major is also called A Ionian mode by the way. Ionian mode also means major scale. Also there is the relative minor which is 3 frets back from the major root. In this case F# minor, or also called F# Aeolian. Aeolian mode is also called the minor scale. Both these scales have the same notes in them. It's just starting with a different note in the scale gives you a different mode. Playing the A major scale but starting with the note B would be the B dorian mode. Starting with C# would be C# Phrygian mode. Now you probably see where this is going. These are how modes are constructed. Although this is not there purpose in music. Modes other than Ionian and Aeolian serve completely different purposes opposed to there major and minor counterparts. So they should be learned seperately.The same thing applies with the Pentatonic scales, and any other scale you may encounter. I would only worry about learning the scales Major/minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and both pentatonic major and minor for now. Then learn there modes.

As for memorizing the fretboard. There are many ways to approach this, so it's pretty much up to the person learning which one is best. Here's a good way since you'll be working with scales also. Start with an E major scale, play it from the lowest note (the open e) all the way up to the highest note (12th fret on high e string). Then all the way back down. Now the key is to say all the notes up and down as you play them.

Here's the E major notes: E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E..repeats. You can also say the numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. As for the 'w w h w w w h w', I wouldn't worry about that one, that's just the intervals between each scale note. It's important to know but not for the sake of learning the fretboard.

Now do it for the E minor scale: E, F#, G, A, B, C, D, E..repeats. Say the numbers to 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7. When you see a 'b' before a number say "flat", for '#' before a number say "sharp".

After you have done both the Major and minor scales of each note, go up one note (F) and continue all the way up until you reach E again then your done. This time you don't have to say the numbers, unless you feel you don't go it downpat yet. They repeat the same all the way through, so once you do it once or twice you should have it.

This will help build scale knowledge, fretboard knowledge, and also alittle ear training since your relating the sound of each note with it's name.

For learning modes go to this site and read the 3rd post.

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5635&pagenumber=2

I think this is very good way to learn modes. Well I hope this helps man, good luck.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 01-16-2003 at 09:38 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
01/17/2003 4:06 am
Wanna memorize the fretboard, the whole fretboard and not just the 5th & 6th strings?
Learn to read music and apply it to all the positions of the guitar. Nothing is gonne make you more conscise of pitch recognition more then reading, plus you'll learn a great skill also.
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/17/2003 1:20 pm
To memorize the fretboard check out http://www.fretboardwarrior.com .

There's a program there, it's a game with score and levels ... Very nice... A guy just posted the above URL in the "Technique & Style" section in this forum few days ago.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.