Using pick for beginners!

niall.magner
niall.magner
03/07/2021 1:59 am

Hi Guys,

I am just starting to learn to play the acoustic guitar and I have problems with strumming by following Lisa McCormick's acoustic guitar beginner videos. My problem is that when I strum down with my pick my index finger always seem to get in the way for smooth strumming.

Can you give me some guidance?

Thanks,

Niall

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/07/2021 3:13 pm

Here's a post I stole from myself from a while ago. Not sure it it gives you any nuggets of wisdome but worth sharing.

[br]How close is your pick holding to these photos below?

[br]I took a few pics of me holding a pick. Though I've been playing a long time, I either like very small picks (Dunlop Jazz III's) for electric, or for acoustic strumming, no pick. Thing is, playing with no pick acoustically, I may not be as articulate as I'd like. I'd played mostly electric for so long with the tiny Jazz III's, I'd lost my 'skill' with holding a standard sized pick and to be honest, strumming an acoustic song wIth Jazz III's is a bit like using a sledgehammer with set a finishing nail. It's not subtle enough as would be a regular pick. So I've been reteaching myself proper standard sized pick playing.

[br]If you're new, it can be that much harder. A few things you should keep in mind:

--Don't 'over-grip'. That is to say that if you squeeze so tightly in hopes of not dropping the pick, you're gonna drop it. When you strike a string, if there is no give in your grip, the string is going to win that struggle.

--With the photos below, you'll notice that I don't expose an enourmous amount of the pick. That's just natural for me. I also hold the pick under the flesh of my thumb and under the last bone (called the distal phalange...for what it's worth...) of my bent index finger.

--Watch the angle of the pick too. When you strum, if the pick is completely perpendicular to the string, you're going to string the string too hard. It's in Lisa's beginner's tutorial, but the pick should trail a little bit. It's part of the 'grip' issue above. However, instead of stabbing the strings, your wrist should allow for a little give that allows that pick to trail a little bit behind where your thumb/index are gripping the pick.

[br]Just some thoughts.

[br]Even though my relearning using a regular pick makes me feel like I'm using a dinner plate, I still never drop a pick.

[/quote]
# 2
oneximo.feliz
oneximo.feliz
03/08/2021 12:11 am

Im having so much issues with a PICK, i honestly can do way better withtout it . While using it i hit the wrong strings and it takes me a lot of time to find the right one. Do i need to use a PICK? There should be a section dedicated just for picks. Which one are better for beginner and so forth.

For now im just pickless becuase i cant take it anymore.

Thanks

# 3
niall.magner
niall.magner
03/10/2021 8:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Please see attached images of how I hold my pick:

Any further tips?

Niall

# 4
bouncee
bouncee
03/31/2021 2:27 am
Originally Posted by: oneximo.feliz

Im having so much issues with a PICK, i honestly can do way better withtout it . While using it i hit the wrong strings and it takes me a lot of time to find the right one. Do i need to use a PICK? There should be a section dedicated just for picks. Which one are better for beginner and so forth.

For now im just pickless becuase i cant take it anymore.

Thanks

I too struggled using a pick in regards to hitting wrong strings. What I did was doing a daily routine of about five to ten minutes of practicing the spider using pick.I started downstroke only. Then alternate picking. Within a few weeks it came natural to use a pick.

To make things harder I skipped strings and slid up and down a few frets while doing the spider focusing on the picking motion and staying in time with the metronome.

# 5
niall.magner
niall.magner
04/05/2021 8:35 pm

My main issue is my index finger inadvertently touches the strins when I am strumming with my pick, otherwise I am doing ok.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.