Playing hours, advice on running through strings?

lee05503
lee05503
02/27/2021 10:52 am

Wasn't sure what to title this. Basically I've got into programs like MuseScore 3, and online websites which have tabs to a song and you click the play button and set it at a speed it plays the song and you watch and try to get yourself up to speed learning the song. And the last 7 or 8 days I've been spending between 8-12 hrs doing this on electric guitar "trying to learn rhythm guitar on various songs", only breaks are water, bathroom, and the occasional get up to stretch my legs. (Hard rock songs are generally just power chords, so not too hard on the fingertips, hence it's easy to practice for many hours)[br][br]

Earlier while playing, the 2nd string went out and I kept trying to tune it back to B using my Yamama guitar tuner and it would not tune to B, I changed the 2nd string and was back in tune playing, about 2 hours later the 3rd string went out, same thing it would not tune to G, so I decided to change that string and the rest of them.[br][br]

So any advice? I read somewhere online that a string will need to be changed every 100 hrs of play? But if that is the case am I gonna be running through strings quickly? I don't like the idea of constantly having to change strings. So was looking for advice. I'm curretly using Ernie Ball super slinky "9s in pink package".[br][br]How often do you guys go through strings?

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/27/2021 2:03 pm

The first thing that comes to my mind is ask how old are the tuning pegs on your guitar?

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
lee05503
lee05503
02/27/2021 9:22 pm

New guitar purchased in late may 2020 (Yamaha guitar starter pack)

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/27/2021 10:13 pm

If you don't clean your strings it could be useful to try doing that. They make microfiber cloths for doing this. They also make string cleaner/ lube oils that could be helpful.

How clean is your fretboard? Can you scrap off dirt with a light pick scrape? If so you would be good to clean your fretboard. At 12 hours a day, that dirt could build up and gum up your strings. When strings go dead, it is usually from wear and grime.

How ever I have to admit .I am spit balling here, since I have not experienced the tuning problem you describe. If cleaning doesn't help, wait for someone else to pipe up. There are guitarist of all ablities on this web page. Somebody will have a good answer!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
lee05503
lee05503
02/28/2021 12:58 am

The fretboard gets dirty. Was reading earlier before your reply about wiping strings like you suggested using microfiber cloth, that's something I've not been doing at all. Will start doing that.

# 5
bbriant
bbriant
02/28/2021 8:48 am

hi try going up a gauge 10s not so easy to play but will probably stay in tune better.

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/28/2021 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: lee05503And the last 7 or 8 days I've been spending between 8-12 hrs[/quote]

Wow, that's a lot of practicing! You are much more likely to wear out and, or break strings with that much use.

Originally Posted by: lee05503So any advice?[/quote]

Snojones offered great advice: clean your strings between sessions. And if you going to play for long stretches it will help to wipe them down every so often. I have several old hand towel laying around the studio for this purpose. I keep at least one cleaned one in every guitar case that's ready to leave the house.

How long strings last depends on use, but also by individual body chemistry. Some people have more acidic sweat, naturally oily skin, more dead skin cells shedded on whatever they contact. Those can definitely have a corrosive effect on strings. That's where wiping your strings down with a hand towel will help. Also, wash your hands & keep the guitar clean.

Originally Posted by: lee05503I read somewhere online that a string will need to be changed every 100 hrs of play? But if that is the case am I gonna be running through strings quickly?

I don't know of any scientifically confirmed study on the subject. But, in general, the more you play the quicker you are going to go through strings.

[quote=lee05503]I'm curretly using Ernie Ball super slinky "9s in pink package".

Those are also my string of choice. And I find that the Ernie Ball Paradigm strings last much longer than the regular ones. But they are more expensive. So, I still use both models. I try to keep a set of Paradigms on my most used work Strats & keep them ultra clean.

You might experiment with some other brands. I've noticed that some brands last shorter or longer for me. That's why I use Ernie Ball. Best solution for my body chemistry & playing style.

[quote=lee05503]How often do you guys go through strings?

For the last decade I play between 2-4 hours a day, 7 days a week, depending on what project I'm working on. Occasionally more, sometimes less.

I break at least 1 or 2 high E strings & a D string once a week, the thinnest of the unwound & wound strings! Sometimes another string depending on the task. Bending a lot? Break a B string or two. Doing a lot of low rhythm work, break an E or A string. I replace individual strings then. I buy packs of high E strings. Occasionally a pack of D strings.

Every 2-3 weeks I change all the strings on a guitar that gets used a lot. After a couple of weeks of use the strings lose their brightness & sound too dull for me. And they gradually lose their tuning stability. I try to rotate guitars so they last longer. I use different guitars for different projects. and because it's fun to play different guitars. Or at least different Strats around here. :)

And back in my regular performing days one night of a 4 hours gig totally ruins a set of strings. I almost always put on a new set before each gig.

[br]Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.