Intro - rocking since the 80's

oscarGT
oscarGT
02/15/2021 4:05 am

Hi all,

Just joined GT this month. I've been around music since my teens. I'm 54 now.

I started listening to 60s, 70s bands (thanks to my neighbor, a bit older than me) like: Van Halen, Kiss, The Beatles, Queen, and from there to a whole variety of bands like Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, AC/DC, Blacksabbath.

Then came the 80s: more Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, REO Speedwagon, Europe, Survivor, Foreigner, Rush, Toto, and many many other, softer rock and harder rock.

Then I found guitarrist like Joe Satriani (my favorite), Steve Vai, Eric Johnson. [br]I also like jazz like George Benson, and fusion jazz.

So I'm all for guitar, but my playing is only reaching to bar chords.[br]I do have a good ear and some music theory, so I can hear songs and play along, find the notes and chords, but my knowledge is mostly around major, minor and 7th chords, with some sus4. I also play chords in piano and can follow along.

And play some bass too :D

My main immediate goal is to learn to play famous rock songs and solo over rock tracks.

So I've already started the Rock couse 1 and going quickly over it, learning the bits that I may be missing, and eager to get to level 2!

I have also started Blues course and jazz lessons here.

My end goal is to play Joe Satriani's songs and jazz fusion.

My gear is:[br]-Ibanez RG470L (left handed) navy blue[br]-Ibanez JS 100L (left handed) red cherry[br]-ZOOM G5 multieffects[br](no amp. listening through multieffects headphones)

-Bass Yamaha RBX 350 white (left handed)[br]-Bass Amp: Peavey Basic 112[br]-E. Piano: Yamaha Piaggero NP-V80 (76 keys)

I'm really happy of being part of your website and community.

I think I found what I needed: a great site with well structured lessons, excellent teachers, supporting material and community.

I've been playing more the last couple weeks than the last decade :D haha

Greetings from Monterrey, Mexico. :)

Oscar GT

Life's always better with music ....

My gear is:[br]-Ibanez RG470L (left handed) navy blue[br]-Ibanez JS 100L (left handed) red cherry[br]-ZOOM G5 multieffects[br](no amp. listening through multieffects headphones)

-Bass Yamaha RBX 350 white (left handed)[br]-Bass Amp: Peavey Basic 112[br]-E. Piano: Yamaha Piaggero NP-V80 (76 keys)

# 1
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/15/2021 7:25 am

Very cool, Oscar...welcome!

Your gear and set up sound very cool, too and with your kind of motivation, you will do great with the lessons. And it's great you have such clear goals. Don't be afraid to dabble in anything in Fundamentals 1 or 2 that you may have missed or not understood until now, too. Isn't it great being able to view any of the videos here at any time?

I have watched a few videos on YouTube of Joe Santriani from his Live show in 2017. The man is amazing! I just recently discovered him... (I have lived a somewhat sheltered musical life up until now...)

Anyway, enjoy every second of this journey!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.