View post (Intro - rocking since the 80's)

View thread

oscarGT
oscarGT
02/15/2021 4:05 am

Hi all,

Just joined GT this month. I've been around music since my teens. I'm 54 now.

I started listening to 60s, 70s bands (thanks to my neighbor, a bit older than me) like: Van Halen, Kiss, The Beatles, Queen, and from there to a whole variety of bands like Led Zeppelin, Supertramp, AC/DC, Blacksabbath.

Then came the 80s: more Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, REO Speedwagon, Europe, Survivor, Foreigner, Rush, Toto, and many many other, softer rock and harder rock.

Then I found guitarrist like Joe Satriani (my favorite), Steve Vai, Eric Johnson. [br]I also like jazz like George Benson, and fusion jazz.

So I'm all for guitar, but my playing is only reaching to bar chords.[br]I do have a good ear and some music theory, so I can hear songs and play along, find the notes and chords, but my knowledge is mostly around major, minor and 7th chords, with some sus4. I also play chords in piano and can follow along.

And play some bass too :D

My main immediate goal is to learn to play famous rock songs and solo over rock tracks.

So I've already started the Rock couse 1 and going quickly over it, learning the bits that I may be missing, and eager to get to level 2!

I have also started Blues course and jazz lessons here.

My end goal is to play Joe Satriani's songs and jazz fusion.

My gear is:[br]-Ibanez RG470L (left handed) navy blue[br]-Ibanez JS 100L (left handed) red cherry[br]-ZOOM G5 multieffects[br](no amp. listening through multieffects headphones)

-Bass Yamaha RBX 350 white (left handed)[br]-Bass Amp: Peavey Basic 112[br]-E. Piano: Yamaha Piaggero NP-V80 (76 keys)

I'm really happy of being part of your website and community.

I think I found what I needed: a great site with well structured lessons, excellent teachers, supporting material and community.

I've been playing more the last couple weeks than the last decade :D haha

Greetings from Monterrey, Mexico. :)

Oscar GT

Life's always better with music ....

My gear is:[br]-Ibanez RG470L (left handed) navy blue[br]-Ibanez JS 100L (left handed) red cherry[br]-ZOOM G5 multieffects[br](no amp. listening through multieffects headphones)

-Bass Yamaha RBX 350 white (left handed)[br]-Bass Amp: Peavey Basic 112[br]-E. Piano: Yamaha Piaggero NP-V80 (76 keys)