Recommendations for a weird pinky

twaltz837
Full Access
twaltz837
Full Access
02/06/2021 11:11 pm

I want to learn how to play the pinky G chord since it seems very useful to know for certain songs, but my pinky (on both my hands) does this weird thing where it doesn't bend into the place I want it to. Instead it gets to a certain point when I bend it and then snaps into the fully flexed position all of a sudden. I've had this as long as I can remember, but have never thought anything of it until playing guitar. Does anyone have any advice/techniques on how to manage this?

# 1
bbriant
bbriant
02/07/2021 7:11 am

You can play a open G using the first 3 digits a little more difficult to learn but it is a common veriation?

Try plastic braces there are different types and sizes with a little hot water you can bend them to the shape required.

maybe this would help with muscle memory as well.

I would be carefully of wearing them for to long though?

hope this helps.

My fretting pinky is locked in a perminent L shape I have tryed most things over the years, now i have just accepted it and don't use it for scales, or anything above the e-b-g

# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/07/2021 3:14 pm

I am not a Doctor but it sounds like you have a condition called Trigger Finger. Probably a good idea to get that looked at by a Doctor or a good Physical Theripist. Can sometimes become premanant, other times it goes away. There are treatments ranging from rest to surgery. Talking to somebody knowledgable and having them evaluate it is probably a step in the right direction. Knowledge is power.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3
twaltz837
Full Access
twaltz837
Full Access
02/07/2021 3:55 pm

Thank you for the replies! I'll try the hot water technique and trigger finger sounds about right, I'll make an appointment with a docto this week.

# 4
bbriant
bbriant
02/08/2021 8:55 am

My pinky was trigger finger and I had an operation it was ok for a couple of years then started to go again I left it this time and it locked into the L positiion I went back to the doctor a couple of years ago an he said he could fix it to a slight bend, but if the operation went wrong I would lose my finger.

If it is trigger finger go for the op but be prepard to do a lot of Physiotherapy,

which i didn't.

As to your fingers locking I did a lot of exercises when I was in my teens that involved putting pressure on the all my finger tips now i can lock all my finger exept my pinky in a perfectly strait position and move my finger tips I think this is the joints locking, with trigger finger it is the tendon that is restricted.

# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/08/2021 4:01 pm

I had a friend who's wife had this problem. She got the surgery, but she refused to keep up on the follow up PT part of the deal. She would have done much better just not doing anything. She immediatly siezed up again. If you are not willing to put in the time and effort to do the physical conditioning, don't bother on the expense and pain (not to mention frustration and anger).

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.