Hybrid picking? Do I really need a pick?

Marquis_of_fire
Marquis_of_fire
01/07/2003 5:28 am
I've been playing guitar for about two years now. And I'm getting fairly good at finger picking. I taught my self how to play so I never realy got this strait; What do I really need a pick for? Besides rythem guitar, monotonous strumming, do I really have to have a pick for anything else?
I trim the nails on my first three fingers and my thumb to have a little but of a angled pick shape, and it works for me. But I noticed that even the artists that have 'shaped' nails sometimes use a pick.
What do you use, and do any of you use hybrid picking? ie using a pick and your three last fingers?
----------------------------------
Does anybody remember laughter?
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/07/2003 7:28 am
I hybrid pick, I just find it to be the best of both worlds, I love to fingerpick and have thought of just tossing the flatpick but I like to use the pick for some rhythm stuff. I play alot of country stuff and hybrid picking is pretty much a staple of country guitar and it has pretty much found it's way into most of my playing on electrics and accoustics, but at times I use the flatpick alone for playing accoustic and at times I just fingerpick. It's really is all about personal preference and style, I know when I came to the place where I really wanted to develop my own sound and style, the fingers started playing more and the pick started playing less. If you want to drop the pick, I say fine, develop a unique sound that is your own, it's a good thing...............
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/07/2003 2:09 pm
Same here, I do a lot of hybrid picking too.

I usualy use finger style alone when I play classic guitar (nylon strings) , and rarely with elec ... If you play elec , you'll definately need a pick for executing a lot of techniques ... Also you can't shred with your fingers on an elec cuz the string spacing are too small.

Anyway, there ain't no rules... Look at Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) , he's a cool elec guitarist who only use finger picking... I usualy play his stuff with finger picking to emulate his sound and feeling.

# 3
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/07/2003 8:35 pm
I use a pick to play lead, because I find it hard to play fluidly with fingerstyle when I'm improvising, but I use mainly fingerstyle for rhythm. I can't stand hybrid picking... it feels really awkward to me, so when I switch from lead to rhythm, I put the pick between my lips in the corner of my mouth so it's easy to reach, but out of my hand.
For strumming, I usually don't use a pick. I can strum pretty well with just my hand by curling my fingers and kind of hitting the strings by flicking my wrist. I do a little bit of a flamenco rasguedo strum sometimes (though I suck at it), as well as a reverse strum (which isn't really a strum, I play ring, middle, index, thumb on four consecutive strings).
I've tried with hybrid picking and just don't like it. I keep an extra pick or two in my pocket in case I drop the pick, but I never have before...
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.