Should I Have My Guitar Setup Professionally?

mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
12/29/2020 6:47 am

I ordered my Jackson Dinky superstrat by phone from my local Sam Ash. It was a clearance item that came from their New Jersey warehouse, I got an awesome deal on it.

The plan was, it would be delivered to the store, and they could go over some basic adjustments before I took it home.

Well, it wound up being delivered right to my house instead. Then just shortly after that, the Covid thing started, I lost my job, and I have never gotten around to having my guitar professionally setup.

I think I should have it done now. I heard the guitar technician at my local Sam Ash is awesome and has been there for 15+ years.

I did lower the string height on my own, it has a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge. But I might have lowered it too much. My low E rings out too easily when I when fret A-shape major chords. Yes I know muting the high E is about technique. But I use 9 guage strings and they fret easily, maybe I don't need them quite so low.

Anyway a full setup will cover this, and every other adjustment on the guitar. Then it should be good for a couple years. I can change strings myself, I've done it once already.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/29/2020 11:51 am

Hi Matt,

short answer is yes, every guitar will benefit from a good setup from someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
12/30/2020 12:17 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi Matt,

short answer is yes, every guitar will benefit from a good setup from someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.

Thanks man! I'll go ahead and call them for the setup. And then I'll put that tremolo bar on and learn wicked whammy bar tricks, like CC Deville.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/30/2020 12:08 pm
Originally Posted by: mattpcollins
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi Matt,

Good luck.

Thanks man! I'll go ahead and call them for the setup. And then I'll put that tremolo bar on and learn wicked whammy bar tricks, like CC Deville.

haha, cool!!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.