View post (Should I Have My Guitar Setup Professionally?)

View thread

mattpcollins
Full Access
mattpcollins
Full Access
12/29/2020 6:47 am

I ordered my Jackson Dinky superstrat by phone from my local Sam Ash. It was a clearance item that came from their New Jersey warehouse, I got an awesome deal on it.

The plan was, it would be delivered to the store, and they could go over some basic adjustments before I took it home.

Well, it wound up being delivered right to my house instead. Then just shortly after that, the Covid thing started, I lost my job, and I have never gotten around to having my guitar professionally setup.

I think I should have it done now. I heard the guitar technician at my local Sam Ash is awesome and has been there for 15+ years.

I did lower the string height on my own, it has a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge. But I might have lowered it too much. My low E rings out too easily when I when fret A-shape major chords. Yes I know muting the high E is about technique. But I use 9 guage strings and they fret easily, maybe I don't need them quite so low.

Anyway a full setup will cover this, and every other adjustment on the guitar. Then it should be good for a couple years. I can change strings myself, I've done it once already.