View post (New to this, and a quick question)

View thread

Iman_Oldie
Iman_Oldie
12/28/2020 4:00 am

Firstly, you aren't alone on both counts. I'm experiencing the same thing after a couple of months of practice but don't let it put you off.

Ring finger doesn't want to stretch to adjacent strings but after persisting it can do the spider walk on one string. Stay with it.

Fingers hitting other strings is another one that is common, especially with chords.

I've found that after developing calluses things have improved and it is important to use the very ends of your fingertips even up close to the nail sometimes.

One other thing with stretching to reach frets. If push comes to shove and your fingers won't cooperate there are alternatives like sliding your hand along the neck of the guitar to get to it quickly. It takes practice obviously but what doesn't when learning guitar. Muscle memory soon kicks in.

Children with small hands can do it so so can we ;-)

I mentioned 'muscle memory' so while I'm here I can't emphasise it enough. It works!

You practice and seem not to be making progress then all of a sudden after a nights sleep you can do it, Whatever it may have been. It's like magic.

I wanted to play Silent Night (finger picking) and practised for a couple of weeks leading up to the 25th and wasn't making much progress. Then one day I played it right through without a mistake. I couldn't believe it.