New to this, and a quick question

tysonbaudistel
tysonbaudistel
12/28/2020 3:03 am

So just got a guitar for Xmas, always wanted to play. So with my wife deciding to separate, thought it was time to direct my focus to learning guitar at 43. [br][br]

ive started my lessons and I'm working on the spider legs exercise, one finger fret. And I can do my index and middle finger, but my ring finger doesn't feel right or reach the 3rd fret. Also any exercises for when pressing the strings to not hit other strings? I don't have nails ( I chew mine off lol) but I find I hit neighboring strings. [br][br]

thanks in advance guys! [br][br]

# 1
Iman_Oldie
Iman_Oldie
12/28/2020 4:00 am

Firstly, you aren't alone on both counts. I'm experiencing the same thing after a couple of months of practice but don't let it put you off.

Ring finger doesn't want to stretch to adjacent strings but after persisting it can do the spider walk on one string. Stay with it.

Fingers hitting other strings is another one that is common, especially with chords.

I've found that after developing calluses things have improved and it is important to use the very ends of your fingertips even up close to the nail sometimes.

One other thing with stretching to reach frets. If push comes to shove and your fingers won't cooperate there are alternatives like sliding your hand along the neck of the guitar to get to it quickly. It takes practice obviously but what doesn't when learning guitar. Muscle memory soon kicks in.

Children with small hands can do it so so can we ;-)

I mentioned 'muscle memory' so while I'm here I can't emphasise it enough. It works!

You practice and seem not to be making progress then all of a sudden after a nights sleep you can do it, Whatever it may have been. It's like magic.

I wanted to play Silent Night (finger picking) and practised for a couple of weeks leading up to the 25th and wasn't making much progress. Then one day I played it right through without a mistake. I couldn't believe it.

# 2
tysonbaudistel
tysonbaudistel
12/28/2020 4:18 am

Awesome, Thanks for the encouragement, I put it down for tonight, as I attempted to do the spider walk on E again, one thing I notice, and when I pick the string, I get a rattle, I'm assume its cause im holding the fret down on an angle.

# 3
Iman_Oldie
Iman_Oldie
12/28/2020 5:32 am

The "rattle" could be what they call "buzz".

It is usually caused by not placing the finger just behind the fret and with all due respect to the person giving the spider walk lesson her finger placement isn't a good recommendation for where it should be and may be why you are getting that "buzz".

Here's a good way to get the position and pressure required just right. Of course a Google search will lead you to some you-tube videos on string buzz.

Place your finger just behind any fret and just touch the string gently and pluck the string. You will get that "dead" string sound. Gradually increase pressure until the string rings true. Take note of how softly you can press to get that sound. Any harder is a waste of effort and adds to finger soreness while learning.

Now move your finger up the fret so it is halfway between them and do it again. At some stage while increasing the pressure you will hear that "buzz" and it will require a lot more pressure on the string to get a clean note.

Hope this makes sense ....

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/28/2020 12:24 pm
Originally Posted by: tysonbaudistel

So just got a guitar for Xmas, always wanted to play. So with my wife deciding to separate, thought it was time to direct my focus to learning guitar at 43. [br][br]

ive started my lessons and I'm working on the spider legs exercise, one finger fret. And I can do my index and middle finger, but my ring finger doesn't feel right or reach the 3rd fret. Also any exercises for when pressing the strings to not hit other strings? I don't have nails ( I chew mine off lol) but I find I hit neighboring strings. [br][br]

thanks in advance guys! [br][br]

Good morning and welcome to the forum.

Go through Lisa's Fundamentals, taking your time to work on chord shapes. Pay attention to elbow position as well.

Learning anything above an eminor is going to require training your fingers right through to your shoulder. It takes time.

Keep working at it and your playing will clean itself up over time.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.