Expression pedal on pc

zegeskrap
zegeskrap
12/24/2020 11:16 pm

Hi! I recently bought an expression pedal that I planned on connecting to my midi controller. From there I hoped to be able to map the pedal through guitar rig on pc. Unfortunately, my midi keyboard turned out to only have sustain pedal inputs, not expression. So I am currently unable to use my lovely expression pedal :(. I was thinking I could buy a cheap effects pedal, (like an eq) and then only use it as a way for me to connect the expression pedal to my pc. Is this possible? Can you even connect hardware pedals to pc? Do you have any other solutions? Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/28/2020 6:57 pm

Great question! Computer software manipulation will need to be coming from computer compatible hardware. The hardware would need a USB connection built in, or something along those lines. You are unable to connect a 1/4" jack to a computer. The correct singnal needs to be going between the hardware and the software. 1/4" cables are for transmitting audio signal, while USB cables are for transmitting computer data.

It also depends on what you are trying to achieve. You were trying to plug your expression pedal into your keyboard, so are you trying to use with with keys, or do you also want to use it with a guitar? Does your midi controller have tone wheels? These are often used to manipulate your keyboard sounds. Or there may be an expresssion pedal which has a usb plug? Otherwise, simply plug your rig into an amp and record the amp with a mic! Classic.

Good luck!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
01/05/2021 7:22 am
Originally Posted by: zegeskrap

Hi! I recently bought an expression pedal that I planned on connecting to my midi controller. From there I hoped to be able to map the pedal through guitar rig on pc. Unfortunately, my midi keyboard turned out to only have sustain pedal inputs, not expression. So I am currently unable to use my lovely expression pedal :(. I was thinking I could buy a cheap effects pedal, (like an eq) and then only use it as a way for me to connect the expression pedal to my pc. Is this possible? Can you even connect hardware pedals to pc? Do you have any other solutions? Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

You would just need a MIDI controller or device that accepts an Expresson Pedal. Then your DAW would need to accept that MIDI data through USB. Are you going to be using it to control things like Wah and Volume inside audio plugins?

There have got to be inexpensive interfaces to get an Expression pedal going in through USB. Not sure what they are off the top of my head, but I would think IK Multimedia has something.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
Carl King
Carl King
01/05/2021 7:25 am

Here is an example:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstompio/?pkey=irig-stomp-io

-Carl.

# 4
Carl King
Carl King
01/05/2021 7:37 am

It looks like this one, for $99 will connect to expression pedals.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigblueboard/

Hope that helps!

-Carl.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.