Guitar Fundamentals

rich.messner
Full Access
rich.messner
Full Access
12/13/2020 5:22 am

Hey everyone Rich M. here, I am about 5 1/2 months in now and still working thru Guitar Fundamentals 1, I really enjoy the structure and the process, I am taking my time, to give each valuable lesson enough practice time. I stil struggle with timely chord changes as my fingers are really stubborn. I also have trouble with play alongs as I get distracted (Is this normal?) But, I find backing tracks and melodies much easier and rewarding. So I split time between practicing chords, melodies, rythem and timing. Does anyone else feel they have no rythem like I do? Please share any thoughts or helpful hints as I not only appreciate but I value your advice.

Play on!!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/14/2020 8:48 pm

Hey Rich! So glad you ares ticking with it even though it can be challenging at times. All of the things you describe will iron out over time. The key is consistant, regular, daily practice. 20 min a day is much better for your development than 2 hrs once a week. Keep it up!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
12/16/2020 2:42 am

My only advice is to just keep at it. Chord changes will come... for the ones you are having trouble with, just review the video for that particular one, and go slow. A zillion times slow if you need to. Then work it into whatever song you're playing. I found playing 3 chord songs helped me a lot. Then I gained more confidence and tried more. Practicing chord changes on their own for a long time got really boring for me so I had to start learning some songs. It was after that that I really started progressing. So once I could actually apply the chord change, it clicked in my brain. And muscle memory is an amazing thing.

I played nothing but melodies for the first couple months and it was hard to get into strumming and chord changes...but now I'm really pleased with where I'm at 5 months in. Strumming full songs, exploring Blues and Acoustics (peaking at those lessons!), recording myself playing and documenting my progress, and continuing my Fundamentals courses. I'm halfway through Fundamentals 2 and will likely be working on scales for awhile. But I'm really anxious to get more into Acoustics which I've already dabbled in.

It's really good you're taking your time. Sometimes I fly through things too fast the first time because I'm so excited to get to it. But then I have to go back and really take my time studying it. Your focus and concentration should improve with the play alongs, too.

Isn't this journey fun though?!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.