Little finger (pinky) question

theMolster
theMolster
12/09/2020 6:41 pm

Hi,

My little finger on my fretting hand will not behave itself!

If I change chords it goes off and does it's own thing, sticks out at strange angles, won't stay close to the fret board etc...

I notice now that it's affecting some of my chords and I need to find a way of training it so it stays where I want it. Before I trawl the internet for help, I wonder if anybody knows any good exercises?

Thanks in advance,

Moles

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2020 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: theMolster

I wonder if anybody knows any good exercises?

These tutorials are aimed at acquiring, building & maintaining strength & dexterity, especially in your ring & pinky fingers.

Trill Drills

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

Building Pinky Strength & Dexterity

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1292

Hope that helps! Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
theMolster
theMolster
12/09/2020 7:52 pm

Alright, thanks. I will take a look.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/10/2020 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by: theMolster

Hi,

My little finger on my fretting hand will not behave itself!

If I change chords it goes off and does it's own thing, sticks out at strange angles, won't stay close to the fret board etc...

I notice now that it's affecting some of my chords and I need to find a way of training it so it stays where I want it. Before I trawl the internet for help, I wonder if anybody knows any good exercises?

Thanks in advance,

Moles

Many a legendary guitarist has said the avoid using their pinky. Brian May had said he avoid sit as much as he can. I mean, don't do what Brian does, but it tells you that the pinky is universally challenging for all but a few folks. You're in good company. Now go work on Chris' drills!

# 4
theMolster
theMolster
12/10/2020 6:14 pm

Wow! What a pep talk (or whatever it's called)! Thanks :)

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
12/10/2020 10:51 pm

@the Molster IMPE the nature of that digit means requires longer commitment to cognizant focussed application over time before it develops to even as near instinctive as the others. Pretty sure a majority of us find we have to work hard at it. I can't remember how far you're in, but the good news is, the development curve isn't linear, or hasn't been for me. It all starts getting exponentially easier and things come quicker as we develop.

Not using the pinky though? I can't see how.

Playing any rock 'n roll 12 bar e.g. Chuck Berry, it's a must of course. I just wish mine had greater flexibility and reach (total span) even using all the hand and thumb positioning tricks available. Even in something as simple as "Teenage Kicks" I couldn't see myself using my ring finger(already co-deployed fretting the 5th and muting the 4th string to quickly fret the 3rd in the short two bar instrumental break after the initial intro, verse chorus verse chorus.

After 2¾ years, mine is quite co-operative and I do use it all the time chording, but still tends to annoyingly sit too high rather than low immediately adjacent the string and ready when not fretting. Less so moving from some chords to an near adjacent chord C7 (pinky required) to Dm in Kiss Me, for which I prefer to use my pinky instead of ring finger to fret the note on the second string third fret (ref datum capo on third fret) in the Dm.

So I follow Christopher's suggestion seeking to increase flexibility & dexterity and the fretting ergonomic with it.

I also observe that [u]apparent[/u] pinky use depends upon necessity in the piece being played. Only 1¾ minutes. Watch right through. Pinky starts being used about halfway through.Similiarly here in this rock piece by DDG Chloé.

Not that I'l ever attain their standard, my contemporary role models use it in all styles/genres. Ever EDIP, that sets the rule for me.

Jack

Gretchen, here playing one of my favourite pieces of all time (Bach J.S.) adapted for guitar.

So my view is to use Christopher' s drills along with just persevering with playing lots using it. Eventually it'll co-operate. Anything that doesn't come easy, give it more attention not less.

All the best with it.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.