View post (FRUSTRATED)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
12/09/2020 3:56 am

Hi tammielyn

[br]First words of encouragment.

We all learn and progress at different rates. Guitar is no exception.

[br]We all experience frustration differently according to individual temperament, and deal with it differently. More on that in a moment.

I recall that in October you complained about personal comfort issues with your FS800 (it is a Concert body) and asked for suggestions for an even smaller bodied more comfortable fitting guitar and seat for guitar. Did you end up with either? If so, what?

Have you had your guitar set up? Important. Although there's less to adjust, because of the string gauge & type, usually wound and higher action, more so with an acoustic.

[u]Occasional[/u] frustration is a normal. Part and parcel of learning guitar.

Again, we all have different frustration thresholds and temperaments as to how we handle it. Someone prone to an emotional reaction might be overwhelmed by it, becoming extremely despondent and negative. On the other hand someone less prone to that like me hardly even recognises what others perceive as frustrating as frustration, seeing it as a personal or technical challenge which engages characteristics of determination, perseverance which I actually enjoy mindful of the elation which I know from past experience will follow when I break through and succeed. Yes, a form of mild masochism I know. o.O

So I'd say, [u]know thyself[/u], and deal with frustration as best suits [u]your[/u] temperament. Perhaps switch to something fun you're already competent or more comfortable and confident with in the learning reinforcement process when the frustration reaches your tolerance threshold. Perhaps take a day or two break away from it completely if necessary and come back refreshed?

Literal [u]perfection[/u] or [u]mastery[/u] are two words and objectives I wouldn't apply to the learning process. That will only come in time with reinforcement and repetition. Watch some Tommy Emmanual videos on YT to see what's entailed in "mastery". Kudos. WOW! An acceptable demonstrated standard of the lesson obective is the immediate short term goal.

On goals and objectives, set yours, but make it fun with a pleasing pragmatic achievable goal. For instance pick just one easy, but popular progression, i.e. I–vi–IV–V in your preferred key, and work on it with a metronome. Start easy, say 80BPM or less if necessary, and when you've got it rhythmically happening at that tempo, up the tempo incrementally to that of a song you like which uses it. Soon enough you'll be playing that song. The core of doo wop, a zillion 50's songs were written using that progression. e.g. in G major,G-Em-C-D chord a slow tempo "Stand By Me" ; in C major that'd be C–Am–F–G (G7 but you can fudge with G, or use G7) for "Angel Baby" at an even slower really easy tempo. You CAN do this.

1-2 hours practice a day (every day, seriously?) would/should be killing it over any initial twelve months (ref your join date).

There are [u]a lot[/u] of chord permutations, so as Herman said, until you're playing Jazz, work on need to know. By the end of Fundamentals 2, you have those and others you'll want for particular songwriters or songs you love will be acquired and added to your personal repertoire as needed. Most people converse with a very limited vocabulary compared to what's avaiilable even in any concise edition dictionary. Playing popular guitar isn't really much different.

[br]Warm up those hands and fingers before playing chords. It's a rule I confess to breaking myself more often than I should, but over several sessions any day. In any case, even if I don't do warm up drills, I usually begin and end by playing scales which are in themselves an ersatz warmup and stretching exercise.

Lastly good luck with it. Don't give in to frustration. You've got this!

All the best.

manXcat