Originally Posted by: Grey RabbitI am considering buying a new amp. I have narrowed it done to either a Boss Nexitone GTX Fender 100 or the Boss Katana MK11 100 Can anyone give me some advice on which would be the best amp to buy
I was going to answer but avoided initially A. from having observed previously that this kind of question/thread is largely meaningless due to a tendency for them to descend into a subliminal p1$$ing contest 'recommendation' reaffirming the responder's ownership pride/purchase, and B. you have provided insufficient information in your question to offer any kind of truly purposeful response in the vague qualification "best".
Further elaboration is required from you to that purpose for any response to be other than an endorsement of your selection almost certainly driven by ownership pride descending into a popularity poll based upon fanboy parroting of brand bias.
Information solicited in response to some of the following questions will serve you better.
1. Why one of [u]these three[/u], in particular?
2. Budget. Are you really prepared to go higher to the price of the Nextone. Max spend? Or want to remain at the price point of the last two if the will serve purpose adequately?
3. Where are you going to use it? Home, if so bedroom or studio, garage band with acoustic drums, gigging venue?
4. Preferred/primary music genre/s you intend to use it for?
5. Will it be your only amp, or does its addition compliment others you already own?
6. We get that you want a patcheable digital amp that can make some noise, but have you considered which ergonomic interface you prefer having tried them hands on? Personally I dislike LCD sub-menuing favouring the more direct KISS input.
7. Any other info you might care to share which might assist.
A bit of info for you. With good reason BOSS Nextone and Katana were inspired by Blackstar from their innovative and successful digital ID:Series TVP and ID:Core amps developed by the guys who defected from Marshall to form Blackstar Amplification.
My thoughts on one of those shortlisted by you. Owning a powerful TVP type amp with selectable voicings and multiple patch configs in conjunction with six tube emulations along with direct comparison of a Katana equivalent, a 100W digital Fender (not the GTX) and equally powerful 6L6 2x12 valve amp, of the three you have selected, on spec if it lives up to its website spiel, hands down no brainer choice the BOSS Nextone would be what I'd choose.
In a different class entirely, it's the most expensive of those three for a reason, but worth the extra spend if you will appreciate and use its features. My Blackstar ID Series 260 TVP 2x12 combo is my favourite amp and gets used more frequently than any of the others now. The BOSS Nextone appears to be their marginally more powerful clone of the Blackstar 60 TVP, which is essentially a 1x12 60W non-stereo capable version of the 260, but offering the same emulations and similiar versatility. Its feature set is equally impressive and 60W is plenty loud for home. I can relate from experience that I have to be most judicious in my home studio with exposure to the 260's capabilities to avoid risk of permanent damage to hearing.
Bottom line is that any of the above will make plenty of noise in any home scenario. It's really down to what kind of noise you want to make, the interface you prefer, the tones you're after and prepared to pay for.
GL with your GAS. All the best in making the right choice for you.