Question for Strat Players

chris_m_bell
Full Access
chris_m_bell
Full Access
10/28/2020 9:53 pm

Quick question for the Strat players here...

was is the difference between staggered pole pieces and flat pole pieces?

How do each effect tone?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/29/2020 1:44 am
Originally Posted by: chris_m_bellwas is the difference between staggered pole pieces and flat pole pieces?[/quote]

Staggered is a leftover design from earlier Strats. The stagger was there to compensate for smaller radius necks, wound G strings & clean, loud amps without modern gain structure or pedals, effects, etc.

Actually the earliest Strats & Teles had flat magnets! The stagger was an "upgrade". :)

Since modern guitar players mostly use unwound G strings, pedals, effects & gain structured amps with much more compression, the flat magnet setup came more into common use.

[quote=chris_m_bell]How do each effect tone?

Since staggered results in more of a traditional Strat "bell-like" timbre or tone this means that some people still like & use it. The result is a slightly uneven volume between each string. Whereas flat is more balanced.

There are a bunch of websites, videos & discussions about this topic on the web. But, of course, ultimately it's personal preference! Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/29/2020 1:53 am

After replying I remembered that there is a 3rd option! The rail pickup design! :)[br][br]I have a couple of guitars with Dimarzio Fast Track pickups. They also have a slightly different sound. It's more balanced, but it also follows the curve of the strings on the Strat radius.

This guy does a good job of showing a rail or blade design, but he's referring to the Hot Rails by Semour Duncan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMFVVEx_kE

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
chris_m_bell
Full Access
chris_m_bell
Full Access
10/29/2020 5:02 pm

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info.

The only Strats I've ever played have flat pole pieces and I was curious about the difference between the two.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.