View post (Frett Cleaners)

View thread

pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/31/2002 7:49 am
Think about this, the strings are picking up alot of grime, hmmm... they must be sticky, and you put your fingers on the strings, and you put your fingers on the guitar and in a couple of years your guitar looks like that half-eaten gummi bear that you found under the couch cushions... Yes, alot of these products can cause problems, and daily use is way too much, Now, here's what I would do if I bought your guitar, take off the strings, get a can of lighter fluid (naptha) and a clean rag, and apply a few drops to the cloth and scrub across the frets&fretboard until I was sure I got all the funk off from it, then do the same thing to the body with a soft cloth, after that I would condition the fretboard with the lemon oil (it's good for rosewood too), put a light bit of polish on the body and restring it. Clean hands on a clean neck have worked for me for 24 years. The commercial products are basically designed to generate sales, like candy bars by the checkout counter and would you like fries with that order, hey it's your guitar, but anything more than occasional use is too much and likely to cause more harm than good.......