Frett Cleaners

SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/29/2002 5:57 pm
Hi folks,
I use ghs fast fret cleaner and I've noticed that when I use it the strings catch dirt faster than if I didn't ... this happens although I wipe each string individualy with a piece of cloth extensively to make sure there is nothing left on the strings from the cleaner ... does anybody know why?

Also, is it better (for the fretboard) to use a fret cleaner or just do it with a piece of cloth ,and why? and which is the best cleaner available?

Thanx.

# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/29/2002 8:38 pm
I never buy that stuff, I've only heard bad things. To clean strings I just use a dilutant of water and rubbing alcohol, then let it dry for about 10 minutes. Strings sound brand new after that. To clean the fret board I just use a dry or semi-wet rag. Since most of it is just dirt and oil. Works well for me. Don't use alcohol or furniture cleaner, heard bad stuff about that too. A good idea is to keep a dry rag in your case at all times, and everytime after you play just wipe down your guitar.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/29/2002 11:55 pm
Yeah dude, I used to do it the same way you do for cleaning before I got the cleaner... I thought a cleaner would be better for the frettboard... now I'm not pretty sure.

Anybody else got good news about fret cleaners?
# 3
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/30/2002 3:51 am
How often are you using this stuff? Fretboards really don't need to be conditioned more than a few times a year, in between string changes a wipe down with a cloth should be all you need, when you do change strings, a good way to clean the fretboard and buff the frets is to take a piece of leather, something fairly thin and flexible, and use the rough side to buff, side to side across the fretboard, it does a nice job. A few times a year I use pure lemon oil, make sure it's pure, no silicone etc, and wipe it on a clean fretboard, let it soak in, and wipe away any excess, I really like it on ebony fretboards, it's clean, leaves no residue, and it does dry, some of the commercial junk that gets sold in music stores can actually ruin a guitar if used often over a long period of time, ............
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/30/2002 8:18 am
I use this stuff very frequently , like daily I mean... Is it wrong?

My fretboard is a Rosewood, what would be the best way to clean/condition it?

Anybody here knows wether "ghs Fast Fret" specificaly is good or bad for the fretboard?
It seems to be very popular among guitarist, it shouldn't be bad... what do you think?
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/31/2002 7:49 am
Think about this, the strings are picking up alot of grime, hmmm... they must be sticky, and you put your fingers on the strings, and you put your fingers on the guitar and in a couple of years your guitar looks like that half-eaten gummi bear that you found under the couch cushions... Yes, alot of these products can cause problems, and daily use is way too much, Now, here's what I would do if I bought your guitar, take off the strings, get a can of lighter fluid (naptha) and a clean rag, and apply a few drops to the cloth and scrub across the frets&fretboard until I was sure I got all the funk off from it, then do the same thing to the body with a soft cloth, after that I would condition the fretboard with the lemon oil (it's good for rosewood too), put a light bit of polish on the body and restring it. Clean hands on a clean neck have worked for me for 24 years. The commercial products are basically designed to generate sales, like candy bars by the checkout counter and would you like fries with that order, hey it's your guitar, but anything more than occasional use is too much and likely to cause more harm than good.......
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/31/2002 3:25 pm
Hey thanx pstring. I'll have to check out that lemon oil idea, sounds good. Although my guitar is well taken care of, and I haven't used any special products. I think it might be a good idea just to give it alittle cleaning. But anyways thanx for that post, I think it will help me out. Latr
# 7
N4Player
N4Player
12/31/2002 5:27 pm
SLY - too much gunk ! As pstring said, it will look, and feel like a half eaten gummi bear before long.

Pstring - Although it may clean well, I would be very leary of any solvents on my guitar finish (i.e. Lighter fluid, alcohol etc) Someone could really do some damage if done improperly.
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 8
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
12/31/2002 9:44 pm
N4. Do you think the lemon oil is a bad idea? If so, what do you suggest?

I only use the alcohol solution on the strings, not on any other part of the guitar. For one, a set of strings only stay on my guitar for the longest a month. But within that time, the strings do get dirty mostly from deadskin and bacteria. Rubbing Alcohol is a dilutant from both, so it does work well but only on strings. So far I only use a dry rag on the rest of the guitar. It's good for wiping it off momentarily, but it would be nice to have a sincere cleaning solution.
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/31/2002 9:58 pm
I use the GSH string care system every day (when I remember!!!!) and never have a problem. I think the GSH system is for strings and not really intended for the fret board ! I am careful to change strings after about 40 hours of playing them (they star look burnt and the tone goes)or every month, which ever is the sooner ! Im using Lemon oil on the dark wood fretbord every other month and it is fantastic, I give the fretboard a once over with a cloth, make sure I dont put on too much oil and work it in. Works a treat here in the ever changing climate of Iowa !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 10
N4Player
N4Player
01/01/2003 12:39 am
noticingthemistake - I wouldn't say lemon oil is bad used sparingly. I wouldn't recommend soaking the fretboard daily as SLY is doing. Rosewood is natural wood - and wood soaks up oil, from fingers, polishes etc. I've seen alot of guitars and necks get "dark" from oils etc...not that it hurts the guitar. I think the only harm is the "gummi bear effect" - if the fretboard becomes greasy or sticky over time from too much application.
# 11
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/01/2003 5:45 am
Pure lemon oil is very safe for ebony and rosewood fretboards, and cleans the fretboard as well as conditions it, but like everything else,use with discretion, local climate will determine how often to use it, if the fretboard looks and feels dry, it can probaly use a little conditioning. Naptha (lighter fluid)is a fairly safe solvent and degreaser, I have used it on nitrocellulose, acrylic and alcohol based laquer finishes, most of the guitars made today use catylized laquers, polyurethane or epoxy finishes and are impervious to just about everything except sandpaper and belt buckles, the only thing I wouldn't use it on are shellac or varnish based finishes, like on violins or some high dollar classicals, a couple of drops on a clean soft cloth, let most of it evaporate, you don't want to wet down the surface with it, you don't really use much more than the fumes. Cleaning guitars may seem like a simple subject, but because of different finishes and the conditon of the finish, it can get rather involved.
# 12
N4Player
N4Player
01/01/2003 6:49 am
pstring - sounds good. I was just concerned about someone putting alcohol or naptha straight onto their neck...which would be a bad thing... Good post man !
-Bob
# 13
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/06/2003 5:51 pm
Thanx "pstring" & everybody else who replied..

"Dr_simon" , is it GHS or GSH that you use? I checked it out and the thing I have is called "GHS fast fret"... In the directions of use, it says apply to both strings and fingerboard...
I usualy just do the strings daily (not realy daily) and I notice that they catch dirt faster , and do the fretboard when I change the strings (about once every 2 months )...

What would you guys think I should do? Keep on using it occasionaly (when changing the strings) , or stop using it ?
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/07/2003 12:41 am
Hummm ho my poor dyslexic addled mind!

UhHumm, yes that will be GHS fast fret!

I don’t know what is in the fast fret stuff and I suspect the only reason GHS say it is OK to put it on your finger board is to stop people from freaking out if they get any on the finger board of there $10 000 vintage LP. To my mind that means it probably wont do any harm (it also may not any good !). This is pure conjecture on my part and I have no evidence to support this claim other than gut reaction.

I’m using lemon oil for cleaning and conditioning my dark wood fingerboards and I really like it and this is the real reason I only use the GHS stuff on my strings! I do like the way the GHS stuff brings up the strings. I dont know how good it is in the long term however in the short term, like a month it keeps my tone tip top and my strings looking new and sparkly !

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.